• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Help with stripped out intake manifold bolt in head.

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Let me start by saying this is not in my Bronco, its in my 79 F150, so its the same as a Bronco sorta. I have a 400m that slightly grenaded. I had the motor checked and got the parts I needed and I was reassembling it this weekend. I was installing the intake manifold and torquing the bolts down and got the the last one in the middle of the intake and it must have pulled the threads on the head as it wont tighten. I looked at the bolt and it looks good. I put a longer bolt in to check the threads that might be below it and it seems to thread in ok so I removed it.
My question is does anyone know if there is enough meat and threads left in those heads to simply put a little longer bolt in to get me by or do I need to pull the intake and drill and tap to a larger size or helicoil it back to the correct size.

As always Thanks in advance!

ENDLIFE

You said it your self. Always try the most simple solution and go with a longer bolt. However, if you have to Helicoil the head, you may have to do it with the intake on so that you have a sort of guide for drilling, and tapping.

Dan74Bronc

Loc.
Chandler, Az
If you are using ARP bolts then they are too short. I had the same issue and just got an longer bolt from ACE hardware.

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Thanks for the replies. They are stock bolts, they all came out fine so I am not sure what happened. I am going to try a longer bolt first and see what happens.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the replies. They are stock bolts, they all came out fine so I am not sure what happened. I am going to try a longer bolt first and see what happens.
yep that's what I would do, if the longer bolt works it will be fine. the normal standard for bolting is that as long as the thread engagement is the same as the diameter bolt, nut, stud your good.

OP
OP
langester

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
Thanks for the info. I just went out and tried it and it torqued down without spinning so I think I am good. Its always nice when something works out!
Have a good one guys!

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the info. I just went out and tried it and it torqued down without spinning so I think I am good. Its always nice when something works out!
Have a good one guys!
cool deal, I broke a bolt off in the caliper bracket yesterday%) came out easy but had to make another trip to town to get a left hand bit and eazy out

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Have a good one guys!

heck yeah it is... Now on to the next ticket item lol