• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Helping me ID what's original, what's modded

chrisd0729

Loc.
Churchville, PA
Thanks so much for all the help in resolving my recent issue with some electrical issues and toasted wires around the alternator, VR, etc. Some folks suggested I post some more pics of the engine bay to help ID what may not be stock. Here are some pics, let me know if any other shots will help ID what's not original under here. I know the engine, intake and carb are new. I bought it a few years back, shortly after a driver quality restore from the PO. He pulled the body off however, it's not a nut/bolt restore. I thought the PB system was stock however, not quite sure.

Here's a Google photos album with pics:

https://goo.gl/photos/79y9GSzvvjRq3rXP6

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Distributor isn't stock - it's not even Ford. GM HEI style which means the stock ignition coil and duraspark setup has been removed.

Stock exhaust manifolds have been replaced by headers.

Steering wheel isn't stock.

Console is an aftermarket add on.

Power brake setup appears to be a stock EB system. It was a factory option in '76 and '77 so very well could be original.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
I'd remove that "factory" remark in your sig - that truck is heavily modified.

The PB booster is in the "before" pic, so it's probably original. The front axle & its disks MIGHT be original.

The alt. is a high-output (probably ~100A) 1G reman in China.

Things I notice that aren't original include: fully-lined interior, painted frame, nerf bars, true-dual exhaust, rear tank (poly?), F&R bumpers, tire carrier, tires & rims, K&N, Edelbrock carb & intake, valve covers, HUI, floor console, roll bar, steering wheel, radio, & fender flares. For most of those, you could improve the details (brand, PN, whatever) when you add them to your sig.

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Fuse panel has been moved (it looks like) from the left side wall of the glovebox liner to the rear wall facing forward. Or am I seeing that wrong?

The air cleaner housing was from an earlier year ('72 and prior) and basically all the smog control devices are gone. Except for the fuel tank evap (charcoal canister) and maybe the PCV valve. Both of which are good to keep by the way.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Even the '77 in jckkys' link looks like much of the smog stuff is gone. Unless the stuff usually connected to the air cleaner housing was CA only, which I doubt by then.
But that is definitely one clean and "mostly" original looking rig!

What about yours jckkys? Other than the A/C stuff, is it still original under the hood? Probably a good example if it is.

Paul

jckkys

Bronco Guru
My new '77 was delivered to the Seattle DSO. The engine compartment was identicle to the Barrett Jackson example. They had EGR, a pass side only catalytic converter, and an anti dieseling solenoid. Neither is visible from the front. No Thermactor air pump. Some had a cold weather modulator and a catalyst protection switch on the front of the air cleaner. Mine only got the cold weather modulator. I doubt warmer climates even got that. The only deviation from 100 percent stock is longer than stock plug wires. Here;http://www.2040-cars.com/Ford/Bronco/-beautiful-survivor-1977-ford-bronco-ranger--1001910/, is a 4500 mi. survivor from FLA that is all original. Surprisingly this one was ordered without power brakes.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Interesting. Then a lot of the stuff was CA-only even in '77 after all. Even that plastic plug in the front of the air cleaner housing had a switch and vacuum tubes (two I think?) running to it. Another one similar to that was on the bottom of the air cleaner.
Not sure if they got a Thermactor system, but I know the '76 model year did in CA, so maybe the '77 did as well.

Paul

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The cold weather modulator is a temperature sensitive vacuum valve that works in series with the bi-metal temp. sensor on the bottom of the air cleaner. Both need to open to operate the vacuum motor on the air cleaner snorkel. It always seemed redundant to me. One senses air temp. before the filter element, the other after the element. How different could they be? I can't find any description of the function of the catalyst protection sensor. I've never even seen one. The evidence points to activation of a solenoid valve in the Thermactor plumbing. Hence no Thermactor, no catalyst protection sensor. My '77 didn't even have a second hole in the air cleaner to install one. The survivor images indicate many '77s had neither. Instead they got a rubber plug in the only hole in the front of the air cleaner. Of the new '77s I've seen none had Thermactor air pumps. It must be a Cal. only item. My intake only had one PVS in the rear cross over to activate the EGR valve. There was a vacuum delay valve in the ported vacuum hose to the distributor too. Earlier Broncos actually had more crap for emission compliance. My '68 did have Thermactor but thankfully Az. law doesn't require keeping it.