• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Henry's $120.00 stereo system

Hank_

Bronco Guru
Well I was having trouble deciding what to put in the bronco for a stereo. When I mounted my PCM for my fuel injection system it took up space right behind where the stereo mounts. I tried the stock radio but it was just too deep. I have a console that will house a radio but did not want to go that way. Looking for a cheap radio to install I came across the Clarion FZ 150. No CD player but does have aux inputs for mp3 and a nice tuner. When I unpacked it I was surprised how shallow the radio was. When I got home I measured and the radio was only about 3 1/2" deep. I measured the dash and was happy it would clear. So I took the cut off wheel and cut the hole for the radio. I had also been looking at some speakers for the back. I would love someday to get the Crawl Tunes speaker set up but its not in the budget right now. I came across these on Amazon.

2013-06-26_19-22-33_375_zpsef8b40fd.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008DJT5QK/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
These are not a great speaker but for the money quite good. Over all I am very happy with how the system turned out. Sounds nice and plenty loud when playing through my ipod. I like the looks of the radio and it tunes in local stations very well through the stock bronco antenna.

2013-06-26_19-22-56_607_zpsfdceb937.jpg

2013-06-26_19-23-08_87_zpse0776446.jpg

Because of where I wanted the speakers to mount I just welded a couple down tubes to mount them to.

2013-06-26_19-23-57_711_zps7b0bbd9b.jpg

Nice simple radio without a bunch of knobs and buttons I will never use.

2013-06-26_19-24-21_334_zps9721375e.jpg

Nice and shallow fit.

2013-06-26_19-32-47_839_zps012ff5a9.jpg

Even has a nice cover that snaps on the front to keep crap off of it when not in use. So for $120.00 I got the whole system in the bronco. I do have a pair of Rockford Fosgate 5 1/4" speakers I will install in either the door or some where up front. A nice little amp would also be nice to finish things up.

I will now run the permanent speaker and power wires to finish this install up.

Henry

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
That would come in handy for those installing a Vintage Air unit. A typical CD player won't fit anymore because it's too deep. Thanks for the tip.;)

OP
OP
Hank_

Hank_

Bronco Guru
It must feel good to be at the Radio phase of your build... Congratulations.!

Thanks Wendel. I was actually thinking of you when I started driving my bronco. I really hope you are able to get yours on the road soon. It really is a lot of fun to drive and I know you will enjoy yours. How is your project coming along?

Henry

Last edited:

joshnjulie1

Loc.
Moreno Valley, Ca
It must feel good to be at the Radio phase of your build... Congratulations.!

I second that...
I keep staring at the prices of fender flares, a back seat, and a center console. Once I pull the trigger on those, I will be at the stereo portion. I am starting to do my thread surfing looking at options for speaker mounting.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
That radio does look nice.
.. It looks like you guys are running topless with just speakers on the roll bars. But FOR MY Half cab I built a top gun rack shelf after getting it installed .. I decided to put 4 inch speakers in both top corners. Great .. for the 1st time I can hear and understand my tunes. I used a set of $30.00 Walmart speakers. thinking it'd not work But man have I been impressed.
... Oh my gun rack shelf has the same skin as the outside of my Bronco . So It's almost hind.

Attachments

• DSCN5340.jpg
    DSCN5340.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 164
  • DSCN5341.jpg
    DSCN5341.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 126
OP
OP
Hank_

Hank_

Bronco Guru
That radio does look nice.
.. It looks like you guys are running topless with just speakers on the roll bars. But FOR MY Half cab I built a top gun rack shelf after getting it installed .. I decided to put 4 inch speakers in both top corners. Great .. for the 1st time I can hear and understand my tunes. I used a set of $30.00 Walmart speakers. thinking it'd not work But man have I been impressed.
... Oh my gun rack shelf has the same skin as the outside of my Bronco . So It's almost hind.

Nice job on the speaker install. When I have some time I need to figure out what I want for front speakers.

Henry

americanhorses

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Clovis, California
I second that...
I keep staring at the prices of fender flares, a back seat, and a center console. Once I pull the trigger on those, I will be at the stereo portion. I am starting to do my thread surfing looking at options for speaker mounting.

Looks good Henry...yes keep the ideas coming. I'm almost at the stereo phase myself.