• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hep Hep- fuel line mystery~

73EXP

Loc.
Richmond, Virginia (Home of Duke's Mayonaise)
Hey you guys~<br><br><br>I've had my 73 EB Explorer in the shop for about 3 days getting stuff tightened up- tuned up -etc..and got'er back yesterday. at the end- I had to begggg my guy to check out the situation with the fuel gauge for the main tank- I had provided lock rings and gaskets- as well as brass floats for both tanks.<br><br>He has this "if it aint broke don't fix it attitude" but it was BROKE :)<br><br>the guage worked for the aux but not for the main... annnnnd I think I had psyched him out by telling him that the sending units (both with feed and return lines- for 73 beta emissions system bs) weren't made any more- so he was 'fraid to break it.. <br><br>oops- now I think i have seen em somewhere..<br><br>anyhoo- he removed the main tank S.U. and replaced the float- lock ring and gasket- the guage then registered 1/2 a tank on the main ( had not previously registered anything) <br><br>I picked her up- paid and drove 4 blocks on the main- <br><br>she cuts off- and won't start on the main- so I start her on the aux- drive her to the other side of town ( runs like a dream- he's fixed all sorts of other stuff and...<br><br>I TRUST THIS GUY- HE's BEEN MY MECHANIC FOR # YEARS AND HE'S HONEST<br><br>so- I fill'er up and put the key in the Acc. position. The main now registers FULL- so the guage works now ( the seller had told me the float was full of gas)<br><br>I start her up at the gas station and listen to the guy who works there jaw and jaw about how purty my truck is- all the while I have my foot on the gas- ( because I know she's gonna die on the main)<br><br>Sho-nuff- she cuts off- and won't start on the main- only the aux.<br>I can start on the aux and switch the the main - but within about 4 minutes the truck cuts off... the tank is full- no more kinks in any lines under there- ( I've found a few) <br><br>So- I'm taking her bnack today and I wonder- the small line off the main is FEED and the big one is return right?<br><br>Can he blow air throught parts of the line to find the problem?<br><br>Like air from tank to switch... air through switch to carb..<br>(is THAT a bad idea- the switch bit I mean..) <br><br>How can I find it- it's gotta be a clog.. I poured a bottle of some $20 stuff in the full tank yesterday- carb, line cleaner stuff..<br><br>I think this truck hadn't been driven for awhile b4 I bought it Nov. 2 and maybe stuff is getting sloshed around in the main tank and gumming up the works ( though my mech. said that the inside of the m.t. looked ok- and the filter looked fine inside the tank..)<br><br>What Would a Bronco God Do?<br>W.W.B.G.D.?<br><br>:)<br>Ashley<br>

SURFMUR

Loc.
Houston, TX
Is the vent line clogged? If you are not venting the tank then the pump cannot pull gas out of it easily. When it sits for awhile or you pop the cap open, will it start immediately. Try running it with the cap off for a awhile and see if it dies.<br>Anyway worth a shot.

Jeepster

Bronco Guru
blow away.....unhook main to switch under seat, blow. unhook other line from switch (common, middle) and blow thru switch. the rest is common to both tank and is not suspect. If all checks ok look to the sending unit and tank. To rule out the line while the line is off, get a gas can, some gas line, feed out of the gas can (extend the main feed line into the gas can) see what does.

Newt

How much labor did he charge to drop the tank & install a new float & gasket? I think if I was paying someone else to do this. I would have had everything in the tank replaced. LMC sells the sending unit complete for $49.95. I bet if you have to pay to drop the tank again, you're going to be in the hole.

OP
OP

73EXP

Loc.
Richmond, Virginia (Home of Duke's Mayonaise)
... He did'nt drop the tank- ( he doesn't even have a lift-) he jacks it up all around and puts it on jackstands and when I come to see him while he's working it looks like he's levitated my truck- then he crawls under there on a creeper and does it all from underneath- he had it three days- used as few of the parts that I brought him as possible and then he charged me only 200$ ( I bought two sets of lockrings, gaskets and brass floats..) he just took the SU out and replaced the float and put it back in-<br>with all new seals- <br><br>He also solved all of my mysterious fuel line problems and replaced a buncha belts- all new plugs, tightened up the trani-pan and bolts to the tranny fluid coolant part of the radiator, did the timing, checked the fluids, hoses- etc.. I'm not kidding- you should wish you lived in Richmond, Va. <br><br>I tipped him 50$ and then had to fuss with him to make him take it, by telling him I couldn't always afford to do that and that he shouldn't make me feel bad by refusing it..<br><br>:)<br>I an HAPPPY - He is the GREATEST!<br><br>Then today- he blew out my lines and found out that the fuel line problem wasnt a clog- but that the valve switch was screwy ( compared to my old one that clicked when it was in the right place- which was at 9 and 3 - he says this one is more like 8 or 9 and 1:30..<br>annnnnd- <br>figures I coulda done it myself :) I was just focusing on the wrong parrrrt of the problem ( I want to fix my old 6 port valve and run it all the way it's supposed to be run anyway....)<br><br>He refused any recompense! <br>( now I can get back to figuring out about painting her!)<br><br>Thanks again guys~ <br>My thanks to the Gods~<br><br>Ashley