• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Heres a paint question.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
OK I think everyone can gain from my question.
Now I sold DuPoint from 1967 until 1995. Then I worked in another store that sold Several other brand of automotive paint. But man has paint gone up since I was there.
The door on my grand Cherokee has broken at it''s hinges . Like they do so often. Glad our Broncos don't do this.
Now I'll give my paint about a solid grade of about 90 for still being ok.
Now what I'm wanting to know is just how much should it cost me to paint just one door inside & out now a days.
I know there are several of you guys that work at body shops but do any of you work at paint stores.
Last saturday I went by my favorite Carquest store that sells PPG. I DON'T LIKE ppg But I wanted a price. But I didn't like $400.00 for a qt. of color & qt of clear & additives. & A qt of primer would be about another 70.00. OUCH.
So I checked with O'Rieliys Kids there couldn't figure out how to even get me a price. But I GOT PAINT No. & a phone no. for their big store in Ft Worth that they say Mixes paint & ships it out.
.. So I called that store & Got a kid that was pretty good . But the only paint he could mix my color in was Mosaic & it was a pint of base coat clear coat . But it comes ready to spray. B9532B... &60.00 FOR THE PAINT & & 45.00 FOR THE CLEAR. BETTER but I don't want the ready to spray. He said it last about 2 days & I'm not sure I can fit into it's time frame.
. So He gave me another no. for another DuPoint dealer in Ft Worth. I'm going to call them tomorrow.
... Just in case your going to give me your thoughts & prices.
MY Jeep is a 1995 Color code is PJ7 OR QJ7.. Which the internet tells me to drop the 1st letter & just use J7... Color name is Char-GoldII Satin Metallic. Of course no 2 paint company's use the same names.But this one has been rather consistent.
... I'd even entertain the thought of using about 3 spray cans . As When I bought the jeep I only gave about 400.00 for it & Now I do have about 2000.00 in it. But this Door is dark green & I'd like it to at least be close to a match . I know it'll show but I do drive this thing as a daily driver to keep mile off my Diesel Tr. & The AC WORKS GREAT.
......... I now see why my running Buddy has been getting Quotes to paint his Bronco at around 6 to 10K.

68stang73

A $400 jeep, I would use Omni or Omni plus with Omni 270 clear. It's a 4:1 mix. You should have about $50 in base and clear. A pint is all you need for base and its 1:1 .

lsukevinc

Loc.
Holly Springs
call around and find a place that will color match into a spray can. That is what I did for my inside door and tailgate. For primer, base, and clear I repainted the exterior of my tailgate and the inside of the driver's door for about $120.00.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
When it comes to paint you get exactly what you pay for. Cheaper just does not last as long - so pick your price point or life span and spend your money. Shopping around helps but only so much once you get to a quality level. Buy online from TCPglobal.com they are very competitive.

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... OK after posting this last night I found a mix & match in a spray can. So I got that phone no. Called them this morning & Wow I got 3 12oz cans & a can of clear & shipping all for $86.00.
... I said ship it to me. At least it'll be in the neighbor hood of the correct color.
... We'll see when I'm done.

Mattco

Loc.
Dothan, AL
Another option is a site called automotivetouchup.com. I had a metallic green Range Rover and got a rattle can from them and matched perfect, even the metallics in it. Very impressed with them and reasonable.

OP
OP
Pa PITT

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
...Yes Mattco I'd found that place also. But I couldn't work my way through their order system. & Then I couldn't find then when I went back to order & I found the phone number for the place I got mine from.
... I can't believe the post responses where so many people say it matched perfect.
.. I'm just hoping mine is close.