• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hi Guys 1st post found a bronco

bdog9seclx

I have the opp to buy a 1974 single owner bronco with title. it is The orange and white hard top. Seats are in perfect condition. 94k miles. Runs drives cold ac etc. also, Automatic, 4wd works as well. As to be expected there is a little bit of rust here and there. I am a mustang guy so I figured id better consult with you guys on whether its a good deal. my question is am i on the right thread? and if not where to? They are asking $10,500 but im sure I can get them down as they dont have internet and are old folks with no tech skills. Which kind of make me think i might have a good find since it just has a for sale sign in a cul de sac. Luckily my wifes friend lives in the neighberhood. And ive seen it many times. Any advice on a good price to buy it at and if it is a good buy. I will post pictures let me know if there are any certain places to take pics of and I will do so. Just wanted to do my due diligence thanks in advance for your help.

BluebroncoNC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Asheville, NC
Definitely post pic's if you're wanting some sort of idea of value, though opinions may very. I know there were a lot of opinions on Bronco's for sale at Super Celebration in Tenn last weekend.

OP
OP
B

bdog9seclx

I hear they are now much more collectible than in the past. I have a 302 efi motor just sitting but I have read with these boncos to leave them as stock as possible. The only non stock thing is the rear fenders were cut. and i think the steering wheel Ill take as many pics as possible. Ive always wanted an old truck and being a ford guy that really limited my choices so this might be a great opp for me. After driving it though it will be intersting getting used to 4 wheel drums lol. If adding front discs would hurt the value i guess just one thing id have to deal with. Ill figure out best way to get all the pics up. So this is the right thread?

Kyle.malone

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Norman, OK
Modding a bronco wont hurt the value. Make it yours and do what you want with it. Some think that these are a '67 Elenor but its just another bronco unless its a Stroppe, Denver Bronco, or special use rig (Balloon Chaser).

Master Chief

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, correct thread and welcome to the site. Become a contributor to the site for 12 bucks and post up all the pics you want...we like them.

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
$10,500 is the price of a fair Bronco these days, so pending pictures and details on the rust it could be a good deal.

X2 on the prices at SC. Some were outrageous. :eek:

broncobsession

Bronco Guru
If it's in good shape I would pay near that asking. I would have a moral dilemma taking advantage of the situation more than a few hundred bucks off. But every person gets to figure out their own moral boundaries.

And I respectfully disagree with Kyle -- I think currently the unmodified stock broncos fetch higher prices that the modified ones. He is in a different planet since his is incredibly well built but he still wouldn't be able to ever get out what he's got in it (and wouldn't sell anyway because it was his grandads).

Just my $0.02

broncobsession

Bronco Guru
Sorry maybe I misunderstood. I don't think disc brake would hurt the value. Or power steering, power brake booster. But hacking up the metal to the body lines and wheeling the piss out of it will hurt the value.

OP
OP
B

bdog9seclx

thanks

I live in GA. Were the prices high at the celebration? But i am honest and just want the best deal i can get i wont be like Gas monkey and throw out 5k. even though i prob should i dont want to upset her. Ive def seen from research the uncut fender do change the value. But everything else i could do to it could be undone. for example switching out my 302 efi mustang motor etc. And I def agree with not getting out what you put in lol. Unless its a restoration i guess. It sucks but just how it goes. I just don't know which path i will take on it if i buy it. Do a full restoration, do a resto mod, or freshen up the motor and drive train add disc brakes and enjoy it for a while. And just fix things as they brake. Hopefully i could get my money out of it or even make a little as time goes by but I have a tendency to not be able to part with guns and cars lol So i feel you guys on that and emotional attachments. We will see how attached she is when i pull out 8k in all brand new 100's. I know she just had the carb refreshed and spent money on it getting it running again. I guess ill pay to post some pics. hopefully thats a one time fee Ill check the sticky. But pics take up HDD space and that isnt free. This forum seems pretty good I was at another one and it was a ghost town. Is this one of the best bronco forums

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
Areas of concern for rust are:
1. Cowl/firewall-this is the heart of the vehicle, very difficult to repair.
2. door posts/kick panels-2nd biggest PITA to repair. Easy to screw up the door fit and body lines.
3. rear door strikers- same as #2.
4. rear fender quarter seams- rust along this line above the tire is hard to fix.
5. Floors-1 in 100 has rust free floors. it's good if only the floor pans are rusted but nothing else.
6. Front inner quarters- they all rust here in a 4" square right in front of the firewall. It's where the front clip and rear body were overlapped and spot welded, then saturated by mud and water from the front tires for 40 years.
7. Frame rusted through- ugh, bad news.
8. Swelled seams and spot welds- this gets really bad if they are all over the vehicle.
9. Hard top drip rail and hard top where it mates to the windshield. -Another PITA
10. Tailgate rusted through, especially at the bottom

Typing all this made me queasy, hope yours has none of this, or not much. If so, and the paint still looks good it's well worth asking price.

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
What part of GA?? And yes this is the best forum for EBs!!!! There is no way to even start to help you with pricing, without pics!! Not trying to be hard but that's a fact!! And even then you need to see it in person, cause pics lie!!!%)%)
You can link to other sources but you can pay $12 and post directly here?? Your call!!!

Oh yeah, welcome to the addiction and classicbroncos.com!!!;D;D;D

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
If its a One Owner Bronco whose owners have gotten on in years....Then $10,500 Is a Fair price....If it was me I would feel blessed with that price on an Early Bronco.....Why nic them on the price....thats a great price....hell it may have papers too.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I think you under estimate the owners no matter how old they are even if they dont have the internet. If they are asking $10.5k for it they know the value. Nothing at all wrong with trying to get it for a lower amount. To me if they knew nothing then the price would be way less than what they orginally paid for it.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I think you under estimate the owners no matter how old they are even if they dont have the internet. If they are asking $10.5k for it they know the value. Nothing at all wrong with trying to get it for a lower amount. To me if they knew nothing then the price would be way less than what they orginally paid for it.

True, true....

Welcome to the site bud and best of luck. key point in the process of buying one is to remain "patient" and get the right one at the right price for you

OP
OP
B

bdog9seclx

posting pics soon

Thanks guys Ive seen it in person and took the pics myself. Ill post all the pics I took today. Just need to sign up. It looks really solid though. Ill let the pics do the talkig and then explain any of them with what I found. I have negotiated a price with them since the fenders were cut and the engine is blowing a little smoke on crank up. Prob valve guide seal. But could be rings. So I talked them down to $9k

Pics coming soon

BluebroncoNC

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Asheville, NC
Like someone mentioned at SC, the piece of junk on the trailer for 1500 needed about as much work as the rust but looks decent truck that was 6k.

Personally, don't believe I would ever own an uncut bronco, just doesn't look right to me. So it is definitely in the eye of the beholder. So value wise, I would pay less for an uncut than I would for a cut, as long as the cut was done correctly. That is the other funny thing about "cut" vs "uncut". You can go out and purchase a rear quarter and make a cut into an uncut or take an uncut and cut it. It isn't that hard to do either one. So, not sure what the hub bub is all about.

OP
OP
B

bdog9seclx

good point

good point about adding the uncut. I saw some for sale at swap meet.