• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hi-Lift Jacks in the Military?

KST1

I was sitting in the shop last night thinking about extraction equipment and got to wondering if the Military uses Hi-Lift Jacks on their rigs. Figured someone on here might know.

What other kinds of extraction equipment is used by our brave men and women to get their rigs out of the sand?

-D

74familyeb

Loc.
norfolk
They just use bigger rigs are a tank ;D I don't think I have ever seen a hi-lift on a military rig, but I am in the navy so who knows.

oh2bnok

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Olathe, KS
I never had any high lift jacks in my property books. We did use an M-517 and a 5 t wrecker. There was some block and tackle, a few bumper winches also. Tow cables with clevis hooks were popular. It takes some really soft ground (bottom less) to get most mil vehicles stuck.

meathead333

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Alexandria, VA
ive never seen a hi lift my 4 years in the army. for some reason i cant remember what we use.... ?:? ive never had to change a flat on a humvee personally, usually you just drive it home, they have run flats and then the mechanics change them. i know people do change them outside the wire but i dont know what they use. i wanna say we have a small hand hydralic(sp?) jack. id say the tow strap/bar is the most widely used extraction tool.

in iraq we always carried a spare tire, but come to think of it besides the basic tools we had, i dont know what we would have used to change it with. guess that could be a good training senario. ;D

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I've never seen a hilift in the Air Force but other types of extraction equipment are the usual winch's mounted on Humvee's or 5 ton trucks. Some units have funding to buy winch's seen ramseys and warns for the other vehicles the use but most units dont have the funding for the nice stuff so usually we fall back on the old standard chain.

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
Never seen one in my 14 years in the USAF, even being on several trips to the big sand box and other places... They use the small bottle jacks to change tires, or just use the winch...because you never go alone....

BoltBuster

Bronco Guru
NOAA used them in there land survey vehicles in the 70's

The Military use PTO winches

Jason TN

Loc.
Knoxville, TN
I was 11B (infantry) so we never got to drive much of anything. But one time we were out in a couple of humvees and got them stuck in the swamp.

We used an old Ford F250 and a Dodge to pull them out. IMO Hummers arnt all that, they are way to heavy to be used in the mud.

Little off subject story :)

OP
OP
K

KST1

Thanks for the input. It just seems like everyone (at least the 4x magazines) think it is primary must have equipment, so I thought the military might use it as well.

I've got one, carry it all the time, don't use it much, but it has gotten me out of a few spots where I would've been SOL without it.

What about Pull Pals? Not needed due to the multivehicle situation?

Ever curious,

-D