• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

HID Headlight conversion

hdfx81

I,m going to convert to HID headlights on my 73 bronco I have the heavy duty wiring harness but one of the relays is bad anyone have any ideas where I can get a replacement (autozone and NAPA have been no help) the original one has SHORI S11-1A-C1-12
on it, I've done a search on google but nothing comes up.

Heus33

Bronco Guru
How many amps do you need? I know Radio Shack stocks 30A relays. Not sure if thats big enough or not.

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just take the relay to the parts store and match it up, its just a standard 4 prong and yes, 30a is plenty for HID's they don't pull the amps that regular halogens do.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The HIDs I know of take a lot more mounting depth then the headlight buckes can handle. As for power, you shouldn't need relays for HIDs. The curcuits inside are self regulatoing. Increasing the power delivery will make no changes to light output. Either there is enough power for them to run or there isn't. There is no in between. What are you planning for highbeams? Are you doing full HID engineered housings or H4 housings with H4 HID conversion bulbs?

johnmlebel

Bronco Guru
My HID uses a reley because the initial startup is alot more than what the stock wiring should be subjected to.

OP
OP
hdfx81

hdfx81

I need 30 Amp guess I'll check Radio Shack. Napa matched one up for a chevy truck fuel injection but they wanted $44.00, heck I only pd $39.00 for the whole wiring harness w/2 relays.

j2indebt

Loc.
Kennewick, WA.
I have had HID put in every vehicle I have owned for the last 6 years including 2 Harleys. Call VIP racing, they are in Seattle and they have anything and everything HID related. 253-854-2855. They will get you what you need.

OP
OP
hdfx81

hdfx81

picked up a 30 amp relay from radioshack, different prong layout but it works fine even the stock headlights are alot brighter. Thanks for all the help!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
As for the math. HID bulbs for auto headlights are almost always 35W. At 12V that comes in at just under 3 amps. With the engine running and closer to 14V you are looking at 2.5A running load. Oh, divide by .8 for the power supply ineffiency. So 3.75 A on a true 12V supply (basicly on a dead battery, worst case). On a running engine with 14.5V it is right at 3A. People will say that HIDs take a large starting spike, but have you ever looked at the wiring that feeds them on a new car? 18 maybe 20 gauge?
I have an old 12V transformer that is rated at 1.2A, I can usually light and maintain a single HID off that. It is not happy doing so, but it can do it. I am sure I am overloading the transformer as well.