• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hinge rivet vent window

fvb100

I have rebuild my stainless vent windows but the drivers side has a loose hinge rivet that makes the window hard to close.

There is the Aero-Rivet Tool that I know people use to tighten it but maybe there are other solutions for this one rivet.

Has anyone been able to tighten the rivet in another way (not just brute force)?

Rumcustom

I can’t tell without pictures, but is there enough material there that you can use a punch and a hammer to reset the rivet? What about drilling it out and putting in a new one? Not sure what your capabilities are.

OP
OP
fvb100

fvb100

Don't have a picture now but will send it when I do.

I found the video on youtube below where they use that Aero tool.

https://youtu.be/6yTEro4_bLQ

I can’t tell without pictures, but is there enough material there that you can use a punch and a hammer to reset the rivet? What about drilling it out and putting in a new one? Not sure what your capabilities are.

Rumcustom

I see what you are talking about. My first attempt before considering buying that tool (which the video author admits is difficult to use on stainless) would be to turn the vent window upside down and set the top of the rivet on a closed vise or anvil with someone holding it for me, and then give it one or two good hits with a heavy hammer and center punch, maybe even a flat punch, on the bottom of the rivet.

OP
OP
fvb100

fvb100

Yeah I think something like that is the first thing I will try. With doing that I think we have to be careful not to damage the spot welds. Like the man in the video said.. then your kind of done.

I see what you are talking about. My first attempt before considering buying that tool (which the video author admits is difficult to use on stainless) would be to turn the vent window upside down and set the top of the rivet on a closed vise or anvil with someone holding it for me, and then give it one or two good hits with a heavy hammer and center punch, maybe even a flat punch, on the bottom of the rivet.

Rumcustom

Yeah I think something like that is the first thing I will try. With doing that I think we have to be careful not to damage the spot welds. Like the man in the video said.. then your kind of done.

Make sure the hinge is sitting flush on the vice when you do it, not on an angle where it will put stress on the spot welds