• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

hit the concrete barrier

nathan_1970

I didn't have such a good Sunday. I was driving on the freeway at a part where they are in the middle of widening the road so they had concrete barriers up in the middle of the two directions. Inside the barriers there was a speed trap with a motorcycle cop sitting there. The cop found some one speeding 5 cars up from me, when he flipped on his lights and tried to merge into traffic everyone locked up there brakes because he was trying to merge into the fast lane. When I slammed on my brakes the Bronco pulled left into the concrete barrier. I didn't hit anyone and no one hit me but I ended up smashing my front stock bumper into the front clip which then buckled my driver side fender. Hitting the wall also got both my driver side tires in the air but I was able to correct that luckily. It is amazing the damage wasn't worse!

Now the question is...Why was the cop sitting in the inner part of the concrete barriers?? This almost created a pile up of cars when he merged in, because no one could see him until he turned on his lights and tried to gun it into traffic. Anyone that lives in the North Bay might know of the stretch I'm talking about on the 101 between Petaluma and Santa Rosa.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
i'd raise hell about it with CHP or the city, whoever he worked for, then take them a bill for all the parts you'll be replacing.

BRONCOchild

Bronco Guru
i don't know the area, but am familiar with this practice. i really think that you have a claim here. good luck and hope you are doing well!

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
ouch glad your ok it could had been much worse that's for sure. You still have drum brakes?

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
dang it, that Sux..! Definitely coulda been worst, glad you are okay.

myclsic69

Wow! Sorry to hear about your trouble, I would go after the local Authority on that one, they have to yield the right of way also.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Yeah I would raise hell. I have always thought public safety was more important than getting that speeding ticket for 6mph over the limit. I understand cracking down on speeding does help insure public safety but not in a f'n construction zone.

Around here there is almost always an officer running their lights before you get to any construction zone. It is pretty effective in getting everyone to slow down. Unless someone is being really reckless most dare not pull out as they would get plowed down.

OP
OP
nathan_1970

nathan_1970

The problem is I wasn't able to catch up with him because I had to pull over to check the damage and he was up ahead in traffic.

I have discs up front but it still pulled bad.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
The problem is I wasn't able to catch up with him because I had to pull over to check the damage and he was up ahead in traffic.

They should be able to figure out who it was by the location and time of day. He most likely issued someone a summons after pulling a stunt like that.

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Well glad it wasnt worse. Police dont always think abou the big picture when doing speed traps.
Sounds like what they used to do in Maryland. State Police would have a speed trap and walk right into the highway and point to the violating drivers to pull over. This was scary stuff you would be driving along at 60mph and all the sudden there is a cop standing in the middle of the road!!! State did this for years until a few years back two cops got hit by cars within a year. Now they do it the old fason way pull you over in a car with lights on!

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO

Make sure your rear drums are adjusted correctly.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Sorry to hear of your accident hope it all comes out right in the end.
Check your tire pressures I'll guess the left front was lower than the rest. I hate driving the California freeways either the Idiots get you or the constant road repair or reconstructions get you, now you have to watch out for the Highway Patrol.

NY-Bronco

Resident Dipstick
Loc.
Weehawken, NJ
Firstly sorry to hear that about your Bronco but glad that it did not turn out worse. Like the guys above said, Id raise absolute hell about this. Its not even about the Bronco anymore. Just the fact that the guys that are supposed to keep you safe are putting yourself and your family in danger like that over a single ticket. That just pisses me off!! :mad:

OP
OP
nathan_1970

nathan_1970

They should be able to figure out who it was by the location and time of day. He most likely issued someone a summons after pulling a stunt like that.

I didn't even think about someone getting a ticket as a kind of time stamp! I will look into this further and see if anything comes out from that.

Heus33

Bronco Guru
I don't want to sound like a jerk but I don't think you've got much of an argument here. It seems to me like you were following too closely when the others slammed on their brakes which means that you weren't in control of your vehicle --> your fault.

I only say this because I had a similar experience where everyone jammed on their brakes and I couldnt stop in time, hitting the median and another car. The cop told me I was lucky he didn't issue me a ticket for following too closely. (In my case there was an accident up ahead that caused everyone in the fast lane to quickly stop - well everyone but me :p ).

OP
OP
nathan_1970

nathan_1970

I don't want to sound like a jerk but I don't think you've got much of an argument here. It seems to me like you were following too closely when the others slammed on their brakes which means that you weren't in control of your vehicle --> your fault.

I only say this because I had a similar experience where everyone jammed on their brakes and I couldnt stop in time, hitting the median and another car. The cop told me I was lucky he didn't issue me a ticket for following too closely. (In my case there was an accident up ahead that caused everyone in the fast lane to quickly stop - well everyone but me :p ).

I see your point. I think the difference here is that I didn't hit anybody else and a cop caused the braking chain of events because of being negligent.

But After your post I can see it will be a hard argument to win, so I won't hold my breath on getting the accident paid for.

Heus33

Bronco Guru
I see your point. I think the difference here is that I didn't hit anybody else and a cop caused the braking chain of events because of being negligent.

But After your post I can see it will be a hard argument to win, so I won't hold my breath on getting the accident paid for.

Yeah - you're right - our stories aren't identical. I do hope you can get them to pay though.

jperry1290

I think you can try to fight it, but will probably lose. You will be deemed at fault prob for 22350vc-Unsafe speed. You can try and argue that the cop was at fault under 22107vc or 21800 section. There's also a section that speaks of officers driving code three with due regard for the safety of others.

OP
OP
nathan_1970

nathan_1970

I think you can try to fight it, but will probably lose. You will be deemed at fault prob for 22350vc-Unsafe speed. You can try and argue that the cop was at fault under 22107vc or 21800 section. There's also a section that speaks of officers driving code three with due regard for the safety of others.

Wow! How do you know all of this? Are you a lawyer or a officer?

Thanks! I will look these up.