• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hobart Handler 210 and Hobart Quality

z70what

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Johnson City
I'm wanting some feedback on the Hobart Handler 210 or 187. I'm a pretty skilled welder, learned from my father (who was an iron worker for 20 yrs) when i was 16 and have been welding and fabricating since (i'm currently 26). The time has come that i'm ready to purchase my own welder for my home. I can MIG and TIG weld, however, i can't really afford a TIG welder right now.

My question is what kind of quality is hobart? I know it's basically a Miller w/ a different case, however I still find that hard to believe. What are you all's experience w/ Hobart? Good or Bad, i want to know.

I've been using Lincoln Electric machines (that's what my dad has down in AL) for some time now, and they are great.

I can pick up the Hobart Handler 210 for ~$800. And, it's a lot of juice in such a small package..

Thanks for your inputs.

Luke

OX1

Bronco Guru
Is that the one on pirates?? I looked at that too. I did find sears and some othes have a 210 hobart "smaller" unit that looks like the size of my 155 Lincoln weldpack. Not sure if the larger units are more "industrialized" (with the same rated amperage, jsut less duty cycle maybe??) or the smaller units just pack that much more of a punch than they used to. The largest lincoln weldpack was just 175, like 2 years ago.

OP
OP
z70what

z70what

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Johnson City
i'm talking about buying a Brand New Hobart Handler 210 Unit.. Yes it is a "smaller" machine, but packs a pretty good punch! You can get a brand new unit for about $800 from sears or Norther Tool Company.

I'm curious as to the longevity and quality of Hobart Welders in General!

Luke

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I personally am looking at a Miller 211, it's a little bit more than the hobart, but it will operate on either 110V or 230V. My train of thought if your going to buy a welder and actually use it is to buy it from a dealer, that way you are also buying the dealers' services and customer service, you won't get that from Sears or Northern Tool. If your just ordering wire, or a welding helmet buy it from where ever....

nelson_bros

Loc.
los anchorage
i've had my handler 180 for about five years and it has been a great little machine. between my brother and i we have put it through some pretty good projects. my dad liked mine and bought a handler 140, and although it does not have quite as much capacity as the 180, he almost uses his more because it runs on 110v, so he can haul it to jobs and just plug it in. i have moved several times since i bought mine, and each time have had to wire in a 220v outlet for mine. i am actually getting kind of good at wiring though :p

both machines have been great and neither has had any issues and we have been very happy with them.
jarrod

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
I have the Hobart 187.
It does everything I've asked it to with no probs. I've only run two spools of wire through it though.

Dusty

Bronco Guru
I've got a big Hobart BetaMig 250 and its a great machine. But I think it was made before Miller bought out Hobart. I've seen some say that Miller has turned Hobart into their "economy" line but I'm not sure what that means in terms of the quality of the current Miller-built Hobarts, versus the Miller-branded units. My guess is that its still a great product line whose quality has probably been maintained or even improved by Miller but I have no evidence to back that up, just a hunch. I can say that I wouldn't hesitate to take a chance on a current model Hobart if the price and features were what I wanted. I think with any of the top brands such as Miller, Lincoln, Hobart, Esab you'll be many steps ahead of a cheapo Harbor Freight welder.

Dusty

BroncoRunner

Loc.
SE Michigan
I have a 180 and have welded a couple of sand rails and multiple other things. Lots of spools ran through with no problems.

sstlaure

Bronco Slacker
My friend has had his Hobart for 6-7 years now, has done tons of welding with it and never had a problem.

Terkish

I love the Hobart welders. They are often over looked, but i think they are a great bang for your buck. Mine always gets the job done.

brewchief

I've got a handler 210, I like it, I've used the red and blue welders and it does just as good of a job. I got mine from tractor supply, I had a 10% off coupon, out the door with a #80 tank, a big spool of wire, some nozzle dip, tax, etc, I was right at $1000, not to bad if you ask me.

Brewchief;D

mustangtoby

Bronco Guru
Loc.
southwest Colorado
I have the 180 handler, bought it cause dad had a 140 for about 10 years with no problems. I have had mine for 4-5 years now with no problems, just wish I would have went with a little bigger one (220v). Wire has spoiled me and I hate to fire up the stick welder now!

73bronco

I have the Hobart Iron Man 210 and I love it! It is a great machine! I have used it a lot (about 150 lbs. of wire through it) and it welds just as good now as it did when I first bought it. I saw the Handler 210 when I bought mine and thought that would be a great portable welder. I highly recommend Hobart!

OP
OP
z70what

z70what

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Johnson City
thanks for all your replies guys.. As usual i can count on everyone here at Classicbroncos.com. I am going to pick up a Hobart handler 210 within the next couple weeks...(once i add a 230V outlet in my garage).

Luke