• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hoist-a-top

drscotch

Loc.
Edmonton, Alberta
Seen a few custom jobs, not this particular one. I know there is another thread or 2 floating around the site on this topic. If you were so inclined i think you could build one yourself for 1/2 the price.

Broncos n' VWs

I have a hoist-a-top. Works pretty smooth. Mine was free because my friend Sam works for Lange Originals. When I told him I just bought a Bronco, he showed up with the hoist-a-top. Nice little hook-up from a friend.

Howdy

Loc.
Folsom, Ca
Boy....Those things are expensive nowdays. I bought one for my Jeep about 6 years ago for about half that price. It needs to be modified to work with the EB since the top is a little bigger, but that would be easy. I might give it a try this spring and see how it works at taking the EB top off.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I bought one of these for mine. Haven't used it, so I can't comment on how well it works. Hopefully it will do the trick. It should.

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
I bought one used for $100, I haven't been able to try it out either, but I wouldn't pay much more than that for one. You can make it pretty simple. The most expensive part would be the come-along, but a cheapie Harbor Freight job would be fine.

J.D.

va bronco

Loc.
Henry, VA 24102
hoist

Seems like too much money. I seen pic's where a guy attached 2x4's across the back edge & front edge of his top. Had eye bolts at the ends of the 2x4's and eye bolts screwed into the ceiling joists of this garage. Then used tow strapes between the eyebolts & could pull the top on or off. The 2x4's had matching holes in them to secure the boards to the top. I'm a cheapskate %) :-* . It looked good to me! ;D :D

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
buy 2 tie down straps for $10.00. open the rear hatch and run one under it. open the doors and run one through there. even it out and attach them to a center point above the roof and pull. i bet you could make your own for about $30.00 or less.

Coob

Loc.
Houston, Tx
I was thinking about using an old boat trailer crank and a pulley and 2x4 on the celing. But then, luck me found an old garage door opener that still works. I.m gonna try modifying the rail to connect to the straps some how. After that I'm gona lift in style with the push of a button.

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
Coob said:
I was thinking about using an old boat trailer crank and a pulley and 2x4 on the celing. But then, luck me found an old garage door opener that still works. I.m gonna try modifying the rail to connect to the straps some how. After that I'm gona lift in style with the push of a button.

Just don't put the top lifter button next to the regular garage door opener
:eek: .

I used the 2x4 with eye hooks in the past with good luck. Easy, cheap and properly supports the top.

J.D.

bigpappa

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gardendale Al
The top weighs something like 250 lbs right? I was thinking about using something like this just modifing it a little bit.

Attachments

• ProStor Heavy Lift150.jpg
    ProStor Heavy Lift150.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 93

73orangebronco

My son and I built one for his Bronco out of a couple 2x6's and some 400# chain. It was cheap and works very well. No hoist is necesary. If you lift an end at a time, it isn't heavy at all. Use an S hook or openable chain link to adjust the height and just give it a boost to move it up a few links on the chain attached to the ceiling. Just secure it well into ceiling joists and you're all set.

Mono

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I did the 2X4 eye bolt lift. I used both rope & tie-downs. As I pulled the rope, I pulled the tie-down tight, untill it hit the celing. I then switched out the tie-downs with chains. 1 man job

Then lifted a body from the same eye bolt set-up! 1 man job

Also did the cherry picker lift. 1 man job

Attachments

• P1010007.jpg
    P1010007.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 77
  • P1010005.JPG
    P1010005.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 62
  • P1010012.JPG
    P1010012.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 67
  • P1010052-1.JPG
    P1010052-1.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 62

74bob

Loc.
Broomfield,CO
Mine is stowed upside down in the garage between the joists. Lifted it off and set it on the ground, turned it over and hoist it up with a rope block and tackle. Anchored it to the joists with chain and eyebolts. Hasn't been put back on in over 10 years.

Baja71

Bronco Guru
bigpappa said:
The top weighs something like 250 lbs right? I was thinking about using something like this just modifing it a little bit.

Where'd you find that? I need a few of those just for some regular crap. ;D

bigpappa

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gardendale Al
Baja71 said:
Where'd you find that? I need a few of those just for some regular crap. ;D

A company called Racor actually makes it. I just got approval to sell them but I do not have any in to sell just yet. Check out Link for more information. ;D