• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hoist for Hardtop on '74 Bronco

omureebe

So now that I have a hard top..... And nice 12ft ceilings.... I'm looking at how to hang the 200lb hard top from my ceiling. This is one of many great threads on this.

Problem is, I know I have those engineered joists (pretty sure 2x10) up there and from what I read, don't hold a lot of weight in the horizontal plane. Is there a good way to still do this, such as run some 2"x4"x8's perpendicular to the joists to spread the load out better? The ceiling is sheetrocked, fyi

Thanks!
Omar

mpboxer

Contributor
Loc.
Queen Creek, AZ
So now that I have a hard top..... And nice 12ft ceilings.... I'm looking at how to hang the 200lb hard top from my ceiling. This is one of many great threads on this.

Problem is, I know I have those engineered joists (pretty sure 2x10) up there and from what I read, don't hold a lot of weight in the horizontal plane. Is there a good way to still do this, such as run some 2"x4"x8's perpendicular to the joists to spread the load out better? The ceiling is sheetrocked, fyi

Thanks!
Omar

I've hung garage storage racks (Costco SafeRacks) from engineered joists before with no problems. I think they were actually 1x2s with plywood webbing in the middle. Two story house. They are designed for load on the top, but some hanging weight is ok. I made sure to find center of 1x2 so hopefully the lag went into the plywood also. Never had any problems.

76YETI

Contributor
Loc.
KC METRO
I kinda followed this guys lead. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSWLVTGL4hw
I used 12' lifting straps, attached to 5" carabiners then attached the carabiners to the hoists hook. After several attempts, I put the lifting straps inside the lift gate's hinges and that made it a little more stable. If you do it like the video the front of the top will fly up as it is way out of balance. I then hoisted it up to the ceiling and then used the 2x4 and lifting straps to ratchet it up closer to the top of the ceiling. With a full cage, you cannot use just the 2x4's and ratchet strap method. Also, my garage is a mess right now, don't judge!

Lift2.jpg

lift1a.jpg

ngsd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That is why I have three in storage. They are a pain in the ass to go on and off!

clear_creek

Here's my system...used just for storage. I used four hand winches mounted on the walls with a series of cables and pulleys. To your point, I can now raise and lower the top by myself...it's a bit slow as you walk between four winches and let out 4 inches of cable at a time, but it works. I bolted the top to a pair of 2x6 and put casters on the bottom so I can move it around...by myself. I have an I-beam crane/winch system in the garage I use for pulling engines and lifting the top into place to lower onto the EB.

0dWeDL.jpg

90sQip.jpg

dunenj.jpg

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here's the way I ended up raising the roof, so to speak. A cable and a safety chain at each corner and several pulleys to direct the cables to a hand crank boat winch. Significant trial and error getting there, but I'm satisfied for now with the results.

Attachments

• 20211118_143827.jpg
    20211118_143827.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 20211119_134449.jpg
    20211119_134449.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 20211119_165552.jpg
    20211119_165552.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 51
  • 20211119_171150.jpg
    20211119_171150.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 46

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Winch/cable attachment

Attachments

• 20211119_133213.jpg
    20211119_133213.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 37

67RT

Bronco Guru
I kinda followed this guys lead.
I used 12' lifting straps, attached to 5" carabiners then attached the carabiners to the hoists hook. After several attempts, I put the lifting straps inside the lift gate's hinges and that made it a little more stable. If you do it like the video the front of the top will fly up as it is way out of balance. I then hoisted it up to the ceiling and then used the 2x4 and lifting straps to ratchet it up closer to the top of the ceiling. With a full cage, you cannot use just the 2x4's and ratchet strap method. Also, my garage is a mess right now, don't judge!

View attachment 528453

View attachment 528454

Is this sketchy taking down by yourself?

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I used ratchet straps on the top to an I beam in my carport all lifted by a come along with a pulley to the I beam. the straps to the top and be adjusted to balance and level the top as it lifts its not slick as a much more expense can be but gets the job doe with stuff I already had Just watch the posts down in the trock bed they like to dig in to paint .

omureebe

My Harbor Freight lift works great - yeah I spent a lil cash but come on... For the $200 for hoist and hardware, lifting the top up/down by yourself is a press of the button.

I will iterate that if you're by yourself, the electric hoist is really handy... I'm at the point that I'll run no top (May through August) and a hard top rest of year. No soft top anymore which I kinda like.

PS - I should sell a black and parchment soft top!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
You guys must need an excuse to spend your money. 2 2X4s and 4 ratchet straps. Done.

lol I did same thing, back when I had a hard top New Glass one getting built at least for winter coverage