• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Holley A/T Kickdown Linkage

TDubya

Loc.
Fortuna, CA
A friend just replaced the stock intake manifold and 2 bbl carb with an Edelbrock intake and Holley 4 bbl off of his 67 Mustang and the linkage for the kickdown is in a different location. It is farther toward the front of the carb than stock. Were there different linkage setups offered from Holley?

Lawndart

Loc.
I just did something similar this weekend. I installed a Weiand 8011 intake and a Holley 80457 on my 73 with auto tranny. I needed the Holley Ford tranny kit #20-91 to complete the job.
If I understand your issue correctly, you may need the Ford Trans Kickdown Extension kit #20-41.
Good luck.

OP
OP
TDubya

TDubya

Loc.
Fortuna, CA
I think you're right, and he needs the extension kit. When I ordered my Holley for the Bronco 20 years ago it came with the kickdown linkage but didn't need an extension kit. My friend's carb came off of a manual transmission Mustang so the kickdown wasn't hooked up. Was there both a Ford linkage and a universal linkage that needs the extension kit for Fords?

Lawndart

Loc.
I really don't know about the Ford/universal linkage thingie.
I purchased both the tranny kit and the kick down extension when I purchased the Holley. In my case I did not need the extension. They are not expensive and if your friend is not in a hurry, I can mail him my unused extension kit.

OP
OP
TDubya

TDubya

Loc.
Fortuna, CA
I appreciate that but I'm sure the kits are readily available locally. I was just curious why one Holley 4160 carb needs the extension and the other doesn't.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I bet the difference is in the intake not the carburetor. I've swapped 2300, 4150, and 4160 Holleys, with Ford 2100s, 2150s, and 4100s, with no change in the kick down rod length. I know Ford's 4bbl and 2bbl intakes have the primary throttle shaft in the same position, but the aftermarket intakes may not. Even the height of the carb mounting surface would require a different length kick down rod. The position fore and aft is easy to measure. My Edelbrock Performer EGR doesn't move the primary throttle shaft forward relative to the Ford intake.

OP
OP
TDubya

TDubya

Loc.
Fortuna, CA
I'll have to get pictures of the two setups showing the differences in the linkage location so I can post them on here. Both Holleys are sitting on top of an Edelbrock Performer 289 intake.

OP
OP
TDubya

TDubya

Loc.
Fortuna, CA
The Holley kit 20-91 seemed to do the trick, the linkage is the same as on mine. But how do you know if you need the extension or not? Neither of ours has it and mine hasn't for 20 years and it seems to work correctly. Both went from 2 bbl to a 4 bbl.