• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Holley Pro-Jecton 2D P/N 502-20s

broncotom

Loc.
CO,100 Miles to Moab
Hello all,

I have a guy asking $600 for this setup. said he had it on a 77 bronco for 8 months and then upgraded to a new motor and doesn't need it anymore. supposedly it has all the parts included still.

What have you all heard about this setup? I've honestly never really looked into it so I don't know anything about it other than its a throttle body injection setup similar to old GM TBI setups. is it worth the money at this price? he said he got it for almost $2000.

assuming its all there like he says, is it worth the cost? does it work pretty well? thanks!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
No, not worth it. The old Pro-jection are about 3 generations old. It was out of date 15 years ago.

It is so old and crude, it does NOT even come with an O2 sensor.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
IF this is the ProJection that Holley sold in the early '90's...then NO, it's not worth the money!

FITECH isn't much more and has almost 30 years newer technology in their setup.

I ran the Holley ProJection unit for years back in the early '90's or whenever they came out... Worked well, beat the HECK out of the Holley's I was running at the time but IMO, tell him thanks but no thanks!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
This is a slight bump above the popular one from the early 90's. The first ones were a 2-barrel analog system. You get 5 knobs to dial it in. No O2 feedback. This one is slightly better being digital instead of analog. But still no closed loop. It wasn't worth $2k when new. Today it probably isn't worth $20.

There was a closed loop upgrade that could have been done on this one back in the day. Doubt you will find one of those.

There are way better EFI kits on the market now that start at $800 without a fuel system. And they work better and are self learning.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
That's right, they came out with this digital one later... like you said, not worth much, if anything...

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You can buy a brand new Holley Sniper self-tuning EFI kit for an even $1000. I have a complete 950 Commander EFI system, NIB and all sensors included, that I'd probably have a hard time selling for $600 now..those old Projection systems - even the digital 2D with O2 upgrade - are not worth much at all.

Nothing Special

I have a Holley Pro-Jection that I bought new in the mid 2000s (somewhere between 2004 and 2007). It does use an O2 sensor. I'd assume with the O2 sensor that it has closed loop, but I don't know that for a fact.

I think there's something wrong with mine. It has a complete dead spot where it doesn't deliver any fuel at some rpm range during relatively heavy acceleration. It's actually kind of exciting as the engine effectively shuts off and the tires chirp from the compression braking (with a manual trans), then chirp again when it gets out of the dead zone and starts up again. I upgraded back to the stock 2 bbl carb to get away from that.

It did drive and start nice under all situations except that dead spot (which was a deal-breaker for me). And it seemed pretty easy to set up except that my gas mileage was pretty poor (it actually went up significantly when I went back to the carb), so I probably didn't have it dialed in very well.

If you're reading this to be a less than ringing endorsement, you'd be right. I certainly wouldn't mind getting back to the great cold starts and cold driveability that I lost going from the Pro-Jection to the stock carb (with a manual choke and no heat riser). But I'm not putting the Pro-Jection back on (it's still in my garage if anyone wants it).

And to be fair to Holley, I never contacted them about the problem. I didn't get my Bronco on the road until at least a couple of years after I bought the Pro-Jection, and just never called Holley about it. they might have taken care of me if I'd given them a chance.

OP
OP
broncotom

broncotom

Loc.
CO,100 Miles to Moab
Right on. thanks guys. I'll pass on this one and keep working my way toward a Mustang EFI setup like I've been wanting to do for years.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a Holley Pro-Jection that I bought new in the mid 2000s (somewhere between 2004 and 2007). It does use an O2 sensor. I'd assume with the O2 sensor that it has closed loop, but I don't know that for a fact.

I think there's something wrong with mine. It has a complete dead spot where it doesn't deliver any fuel at some rpm range during relatively heavy acceleration. It's actually kind of exciting as the engine effectively shuts off and the tires chirp from the compression braking (with a manual trans), then chirp again when it gets out of the dead zone and starts up again. I upgraded back to the stock 2 bbl carb to get away from that.

It did drive and start nice under all situations except that dead spot (which was a deal-breaker for me). And it seemed pretty easy to set up except that my gas mileage was pretty poor (it actually went up significantly when I went back to the carb), so I probably didn't have it dialed in very well.

If you're reading this to be a less than ringing endorsement, you'd be right. I certainly wouldn't mind getting back to the great cold starts and cold driveability that I lost going from the Pro-Jection to the stock carb (with a manual choke and no heat riser). But I'm not putting the Pro-Jection back on (it's still in my garage if anyone wants it).

And to be fair to Holley, I never contacted them about the problem. I didn't get my Bronco on the road until at least a couple of years after I bought the Pro-Jection, and just never called Holley about it. they might have taken care of me if I'd given them a chance.

The last of the Projection (2D) were closed loop and had the complete setup interface via serial port..sounds like you had one of the those. They continued to sell those even after the Commander 950 products were introduced..I never understood why. The Commander 950 systems had ecellent tuning characteristics but the software interface and extent was a huge learning curve, even for a controls guy like me.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The Di systems were closed loop and laptop tunable, I had one. It was a step above the D versions (no "i" so not interactive).

Got my Di system just as the Commander 950 systems started coming out.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The Di systems were closed loop and laptop tunable, I had one. It was a step above the D versions (no "i" so not interactive).

Got my Di system just as the Commander 950 systems started coming out.

That's the one I was thinking of..not the 2D. I plead old age..

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would dive right into a new version of the projection, but not a 10 year old one for sure, and not at that price ever.

u10072

Bronco Guru
The new sniper is $1000 shipped and brand new- 20 year old aftermarket marginally ok at the time sounds like nightmare city!!