• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Holley projection

rastiss

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wichita falls, Texas
Anyone running it? There's a local guy that has a new in box 2bbl setup for a steal. Its rated up to 275hp which would be fine for a basically stock 5.0. Any thoughts or real world experience?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Which version? There are over a dozen different versions that have been on the market for the past 25 years. Shooting in the dark here without enough info, but lets see if we hit anything...

If it is has a box with 5 adjustment screws on it, walk away. That is the oldest system. Most who got it ended up putting the box where they could reach it because they needed it to tune as they drove. No feedback. Totally worthless.

Judging from the ProJection name, that is probably what it is. Most of those systems that were in use are now in the trash can. Parts are proprietary to Holley. And a system that old it will be getting tough to find any service parts in the future.

If you are still thinking about it (I hope you are not) find the kit number and post it. At least we will have a better idea what you are looking at.

OP
OP
rastiss

rastiss

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wichita falls, Texas
The pic of the manual says 2d. 502-20s

Never been around one so I don't know anything about them. That's why I asked. All aftermarket basically sucks for parts later down the road. Mallory, accel, msd, ford racing, etc...

demesauce

Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
If it does have the 5 knobs there are several version of that style too. Some are digital others are analog.

I run the digital 502-20S version. And I love it. Huge improvement over a carb. I run mine with an o2 sensor and air/fuel ratio gauge for feedback. After the initial tuning I have had to touch it/adjust it at all.

How much is the guy asking for it?

OP
OP
rastiss

rastiss

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wichita falls, Texas
IMG_37610306427659_zpsbd667c8a.jpg

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Can still be bought new http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-502-20s
Only one review, they like it, but there is only one.
It is a Digital version, a step above the analog. But still antiquated.
Doesn't even have an O2 sensor. Avoid this. Don't care if it is new in the box never installed. There was a reason it was never installed, it sucked when it was new over a decade ago. Age doesn't improve it. $500 is less than half the new cost but still 10x more than it is worth.

Holley doesn't even support it on there website. I pulled out an old 2005 Holley catalog (the fat phone book one speed shops would keep behind the counter back in the day) and it doesn't list that EFI. Already updated with the commander 950 stuff.

demesauce

Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
Looks like the digital version. I wouldn't spend more than $400. Does it include a fuel pump? If not that'll cost $100. TBI systems require a funky fuel pump; high volume, low pressure, they tend to be a little pricey. But it looks clean and fairly complete

demesauce

Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
Yes, It is old, but simple and tested. The basis of these are derived from the Chevy TBI setups from the 90's. People tend to either love them or hate them. Like I said, mine works great. I drive mine everyday, I get better fuel economy, better power, and quick starts in the cold mornings/hot afternoons.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
Ford sequential EFI can be done without spending a fortune and is a proven, reliable system. GM TBI can be adapted easily too (AFI and others make it super easy). I would do either of those instead of aftermarket systems. Think serviceability... your local parts store has (or can get) anything for an OEM style setup. Move on... its only a good deal until problems start.

OP
OP
rastiss

rastiss

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wichita falls, Texas
Has everything except fuel return. He says he's firm at 500. No way I'll give that.

Broncobowsher, have you run one?

Demesauce, how did you add the O2 sensor? Is it a standalone or tied in to the volley setup?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Has everything except fuel return. He says he's firm at 500. No way I'll give that.

Broncobowsher, have you run one?

Demesauce, how did you add the O2 sensor? Is it a standalone or tied in to the volley setup?

I have ran a 4Di. 4-barrel version and the "i" makes it interactive. Had O2 feedback and programed with a laptop. It worked. Was better then a bad carb. It had glitches that could never be tuned out. And this was with the top spec (at the time) interactive version. I did this back around 2000 and it was a bit out of date then (and this was a step above the straight "D" series that you are looking at). In the years since then the EEC-IV mustang based EFI became a lot more understood and adaptable. Programming to make minor (and major if need be) changes is now available. Parts can be found at any auto parts store on a Sunday afternoon if need be.

I sold the Bronco with the 4Di system still on it. It still worked. But after doing a mustang based EFI on a different project I was ready to scrap the Holley and go Ford EEC-IV. Selling it fixed that problem for me. The next owner quickly scrapped the 4Di and went something else.

That 2D is not worth $500. Go get a nice carb for that money first. Pick up a good wideband gauge and tune it nice. You will be WAY ahead than picking up that overpriced Holley ProJection.

Unaweep

Loc.
Grand Junction CO
I just took mine off, it came with the Bronco and ran ok, no issues. I took it off as I wanted old school carburetor vs. fuel injection.

I have it, with the manifold..much less than $500 but I did cut some wires when pulling it but didn't trash it.

J.E.