• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Holley Truck Avenger Tip

Mikey

Bronco Guru
Hey all,
My Bronco sits too long as I have 9 cars I routinely work on and try to drive. I have a 670 Truck Avenger on my 74 with a 302.

When I started it up it would idle and rev up but then want to die while parked. I think I figured out the problem.

The Truck Avenger has two check balls in each metering block to prevent flooding at high inclines. When the carb sits too long and with today's terrible gas, these stick closed shutting off the main and secondary jets. To confirm this, I pulled the metering blocks off and shook them. You should hear the balls rattling around. Both the primary and secondary metering blocks had no rattling.

I simply pulled out the jets and shot carb spray through the passages until it finally sprayed through to the venturi port on the other side. Be sure both shoot through OK. Now they rattle.

Just something you all may already be aware of but if not, hope this helps if you are having problems. :cool:

Cheers,
Mike

1970 Palmer

Why not just pour a little fuel stabilizer in the tank(s) if you do not drive it regularly to keep the gas fresh. The fuel stabilizer is a problem preventative, not a cure after the gas goes bad.

It's the idle circuits that plug up first, when the gas solvents evaporate. Their size is very small.

John

SHX669

Bronco Guru
They don't have to sit very long . I've had mine do that after a couple weeks of not driving it or just a startup or two . It could be an accumulation of whatever is in the stuff they call gas .

OP
OP
M

Mikey

Bronco Guru
Wonder if there is an easier way to fix this without pulling bowls, metering blocks and jets?

OP
OP
M

Mikey

Bronco Guru
Will Street Avenger metering blocks fit into a Truck Avenger?

If so, I could swap them as needed.

OP
OP
M

Mikey

Bronco Guru
Just a quick follow up....to prevent this issue I've been using Sea Foam in the gas. Seems to work great!