• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Holy Cross trip report (Colorado)

landshark99

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Montrose, Colorado
Thought you guys might enjoy some photos from our last outing up to Holy Cross here in Colorado, had a great time and lucked out with the great weather.

It rained just for a few hours on Friday afternoon but that moved on out and great weather followed for the next 2 days, we really got lucky on that considering just how wet and green everything is up there right now.

There were 5 or so Early Broncos on the trail along with a fullsize Bronco and a few other built jeeps.

We climbed the beginning of the trail without an issue taking in the blue skies and incredible scenery, everything was quite wet which provided us with a few challenges here and there and made it nice and cool.

Everyone made it across French Creek without much of an issue however Moneypit had a few issues with his newly rebuilt hydroboost which seemed to be locking his rear wheels when he was turning. We had to throw some line to get him around the big boulder on the up hill side and off we went to the next obstacle.

I have heard allot about the giant tree root however I didn't even realize we went by that section until later on in the trail ride. Apparently the route we took is new and although slightly challenging and off camber it turned out to be pretty straight forward and wasn't an issue, looking back thats kind of a bummer.

We continued on taking in the views and weather up to Holy Cross City and parked to have lunch and wait for the Pueblo/Colorado Springs group to show up and watch them play a bit on Cleveland Rock.

Everything they say about Cleveland Rock is true.. its pretty impressive. The puddles of oil and marks across the face of the rock tells the tail of many many tip overs, rolls and breakdowns. Two built rigs attempted the climb and with some clever spotting one did eventually make it.

After the entertainment we headed back down, crossed french creek without an issue passing a few of Jeeps and Yotas here and there. A bit of a drizzle which opened to up to blue skies and we exited the trail to gather firewood and enjoy the rest of the afternoon in the Holy Cross Wilderness.

Everyone made it down without too much carnage, lots of new scrapes and scratches on bumpers and diffs, I lost my centering pin again but had a spare that I replaced at camp that - also bent my tie rod… again not enough to replace and drove home without issue. Matt bent a tie rod end but again didn't really cause any problems on the trail or on the way home, all in all I would say a pretty successful trail run.

OK here are the few photos I took... not any wheeling as I was behind the wheel!

IMG_2332.JPG

Saturday morning, a little foggy and misty

IMG_2333.JPG

Top of Holy Cross, this is what is left of Holy Cross City

IMG_2337.JPG

IMG_2339.JPG

Looking up to Cleveland Rock

ClevlandRock01.jpg

ClevalandRock03.jpg

ClevalandRock02.jpg

ClevalandRock05.jpg

ClevalandRock04.jpg

The ride back down to camp

IMG_2369.JPG

A little fire wood and a thumbs up

IMG_2370.JPG

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
Man, I thought you were out flexing your '76 :eek: and then I saw you have a purpose built rig for this sort of work out.

Very cool photos.

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Beautiful pics, cool rigs and great looking trail. Thanks for posting up. Tell Mr. Till hello from NC for me the next time you speak with him.

Hank_

Bronco Guru
Man those are some awesome pics. I have on my bucket list getting to Colorado to visit some ghost towns and do some trail rides. Beautiful country.

Henry

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Thanks for posting those beautiful pix! Nice looking rigs to.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Awesome Pics.. Thanks for sharing. I'm a little jealous.. lol

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I used to live in Creede and those pics bring back so many memories. Absolutely gorgeous country there. Thanks for sharing the pics and looks like a great bronco trip.