• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Home Air Compressor

bronco6769

Hi everyone! I am interested in getting an air compressor for my home garage and am wondering what features I should be looking for. Just going to be used for general Bronco repairs and such with the possibility of doing some painting. It needs to run on 110v, but things like what size tank, horsepower rating, single stage, dual stage, ect. is what I need help with. There are so many choices its a little confusing. :) Thanks for any input you can give me. Tim

YelloTx73

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Katy/Galveston, TX
What Flash said, and if you want to be able to do any painting and/or media blasting, you need something with a high cfm. I don't remember exactly what numbers, so I'll wait for one of the paint/body guru's to chime in on that one so we don't get anyone confused

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There is a huge difference in 15 amp and 20 amp breaker at 110V. If you have a 20 you can run 3 hp but with a short (10 ft or less) cord. 15 you can run 2HP or smaller.

Tank size, 1-3 gallons per cfm is a good rule of thumb for all sizes.

watch out for rpm, the higher the rpm the harder it works and the louder it likely is.

Don't get one of the oil-less units. They are hot and loud.

Most all air tools will operate at 90 psi or less. A single stage is good for 110 psi or less. If you need more than 110 then you need a 2 stage. 2 stage will be good for 175 psi in this size.

If this is just for a hobby, the sears and like stores are fine. If you use this to earn a living I can recommend others but they cost more money.

I have been in the compressor business for 15 years. If you need any help deciding I will answer any questions you have.

Jeff in AZ

OP
OP
B

bronco6769

Thanks, that helps a lot. I really appreciate the help. Just need it for working on stuff in the garage at home. If I have any more questions I will let you know! ;D Thanks you!

donks&broncs

Loc.
The Fort,CO
If you walk into any sears, they have a raiting system based on stars. It's pretty basic, but it gets the point across.

FOMOCO_1546

Contributor
Loc.
Central Pennsylvania
I have a Sears 6.5hp with a 60 gal tank twin cylinder oil/free 240 volt unit. 9.9 cfm at 90lbs. This unit is very loud in my garage. Works fine for painting, small body saw, light grinding etc. Runs the piss out of it when doing sand blasting, stripping rust and paint with grinder, and grinding plug welds etc. I wish I would have bought the oil type unit. Bigger is better. I don't know your situation but, If at all possible run 240 to your garage.

Yellow75

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sioux Falls, SD
Do NOT get an oiless.. I did and for only a few dollars more I could have had a belt driven one that rocks. A buddy of mine's only job is building custom choppers, putting on truck lifts etc.. You can talk over his when it's running in the garage. It's big but SOOOO worth it.

NeverSatisfied

Loc.
Spring, TX
I just rolled a craftsman professional 80 gal 2 stage 20 CFM at 90psi compressor into my garage. It ran me 750 on sale. The thing is a beast--it runs my DA like it's nothing. I just didn't want to regret purchasing a 60 gal 10-12 CFM unit. Everyone I spoke with that has 10-12 CFM wishes they had more. The only problem is I only have a 20 amp 240 volt circuit to my outlet. The motor says it requires 30 amps. I haven't had it trip the breaker yet, but I guess I'll run some 8 gauge to the breaker box and put a 40 amp breaker in next.

I looked at the IR's but I just don't think I'll ever burn this one up with my occasional use

Revelation

Bronco Guru
NeverSatisfied said:
The only problem is I only have a 20 amp 240 volt circuit to my outlet. The motor says it requires 30 amps. I haven't had it trip the breaker yet, but I guess I'll run some 8 gauge to the breaker box and put a 40 amp breaker in next.

Check the motor or paperwork and see what the MAX FUSE and MINIMUM FUSE rating is, If the MAX is 30 I would not over fuse it with a 40amp, if the minimum is 20amps or lower you are fine with the wire you have now as long as it is #12 AWG, For a 30aamp #10AWG is required, you can use max fuse and minimum wire, the max is what it needs at startup (quick surge at startup) and minimum is what is required to run it.

weps

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Switzerland
if it absoltuely has to run on 110, your options are decreased somewhat. and yes, you'll want the maximum size and power you can get in a 110 unit because you will need it to do general auto and garage work. also, know your circuit. the larger it is, the more powerful unit you can run. definitely be careful with the numbers and the claims that the mfgs throw around as far as HP and CFM. alot of them use them liberally and are not consistant from one mfg to another.

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
raharr3 said:
Which are you looking for direct drive or belt drive? Hey AIRMAN, Which is better??

It really doesnt matter in this little stuff. When you get to 50 HP andup it does.

Most of the direct driven units in the smaller HP are oil-less and crap. The only reason someone would want oil-free air is if they are using it for hospital or wafer fab. If you are painting get a filter that you can monitor.

Jeff in AZ