• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Home built wirring harness?

pholcomb

Loc.
Aberdeen sd
Anyone built there own wirring harness? If so what did you use for referance? Looked at some prebuilt harnesses tonight and cant see giving them crazy money to let me do the finish wirring anyway! Any input schematics tips help...or do i just give up and spend the cash????

ransil

Bronco Guru
I have looked into it, have you priced out a fuse box and wire yet??

wire is crazy expensive after you purchase a mix of colored spools the prebuilt harnesses will look pretty good. You could do all one color wire to save a few bucks but you will probably still need a few different sizes.

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
I built the body harness on my race rig, as it only needed basic functions. A pre built kit would be more than worth it for doing it all. I wouldn't use the same colored wire on it. You'll really be lost if you have problems later on. If you want to try and save money try a 'universal' type kit that you'll have to fool with. They will work but aren't drop in.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
By the time you guy the spools of wire, get a usable fuse panel, you have already spent more then a decent universal kit. The universal kits also have each wire labeled the whole length.

The only way you could do it cheaper then a universal kit is to do a bad job. One spool of wire, reworked fuse panel, hack job.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I say get the E-Z wiring harness only about 150 or so I'm not sure that I gave that much for mine. Now the reason it so good is your get the fuse box with the wires attached. Each wire is about 20+ feet long so as you trip off that amount that is to long. You now have extra pieces some even 15 foot long too use else where. When I figured up buying the rolls of different colored wires and the fuze box. The E-Z was cheaper and so much more conviniate.
Hope that helps.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
i made my own. My stock one wasnt too bad under the hood so I used my stock one as a pattern and repaired sections and pulled new wires along with grounds to every component for my glass tub. Beefed up and added relays to the headlights. even redid the dash harness completly. Really easy and really cheep to do. Fuse blocks cost me like $10 and i mounted that in the ash tray area.

Just dont wrap it all in elec tape like i did. Eventually i had to take the tape all off to get into the harness for other mods and additions in some places.

I would never pay money for the rear harness going to the tanks and rear lights. thats a super easy and super cheep one to make. Of course i kinda like soldering and shrinktubing and i have a 3 drawer tool box just for wiring so its fun to me.

Attachments

• IMG_1910.jpg
    IMG_1910.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 42

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
I bought a box on ebay that was supposedly from a 2001 explorer, it was big enough and had enough spaces to put all the flashers, relays (EFI etc) and fuses in one place. It was a lot of work. I took the 87 mustang EFI harness and the Centrch Harness the PO bought plus all the winc, offroad lights, crusie control, etc and wired it into to one singal harness.

It was a lot of work but it doesnt have to be if its just basically a stock bronco with a few added accessories.

I would recommend you leave it as is or start with new wire and new connectors which basically means just buy someones harness.

Attachments

• fuse panel 004.jpg
    fuse panel 004.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 38
  • 73a1_1.jpg
    73a1_1.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 37
  • fuse panel 001.JPG
    fuse panel 001.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 43
  • P1020674.jpg
    P1020674.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 46
  • fuse panel 002.jpg
    fuse panel 002.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 42
  • P1020672.jpg
    P1020672.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 40

jcrum

You had the same idea about the homemade harness. Then I thought about time and money. I went to a swap meet in south Georgia and pick up a EZ wiring kit the Mini 12 Circuit kit for $125. This was the easiest thing I've done to my frame off build so far.

707Bronk

X10 on the EZ wire harness. I don't think you could build a harness for cheaper than the EZ kit unless you are sitting on a pile of wire spools of different gauges and colors.