• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hood latch mod for AC

Galt72

Contributor
I have been running hood pins for many years and during my rebuild I was thinking I wanted to go back to the hood latch. I'm installing BC ac system and I read all over that the hood latch will hit the condenser. Toms solution is to trim the hood latch, see their video at 1:51 min. I had a 62 ford truck hood fly up on me back in high school at 60mph so this mod spooks me a bit. what do you all think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofiT8A_doSo

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I was reluctant to trim that safety latch too.%)
When I installed that condenser, I just put in a small piece of sheet metal for the hood safety latch to slide over, protecting the condenser. I just screwed it to the core support.
Also, a lot of space can be gained in front of the condenser by getting rid of the factory hood latch mechanism, and installing an interior control cable for it. I got mine from BC Bronco, but I'm sure with a bit of creativity, you can come up with your own from a wrecking yard.
http://store.bcbroncos.com/collecti...oducts/hood-release-cable-kit-stainless-steel

KBUCK1

They have a little piece of metal that is made to go between the latch and condenser. Atleast mine did. I have not had any issues

OP
OP
Galt72

Galt72

Contributor
guess I need to just install it all and see whats what. Seems every bronco is a little different. Thanks for the link for the cable release. It's good to know your options.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Yes as someone said above there is a metal plate that protects the condenser from the latch returning.
Easy peasy don't worry.

charlie6976

Loc.
Grand Coulee WA
The inside cable release does not get rid of the safety latch, only the outside main release latch. You will still need the protector plate for it. Or you could go hood pins.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
guess I need to just install it all and see whats what. Seems every bronco is a little different. Thanks for the link for the cable release. It's good to know your options.

BCB AC kit, their Custom designed Vintage air unit, has a bracket you install to protect the condenser... Do not have a good pic of it installed but... It is underneath the top Condenser mounting bracket

Attachments

• DSCN1755.jpg
    DSCN1755.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 82
OP
OP
Galt72

Galt72

Contributor
i have the bracket to protect the condenser. What I just noticed I don't have is that top mounting bracket. I've had the ac unit for several years and may have lost it%)