• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hood mod for 351W installation?

bmblauvelt

Loc.
Branchburg, NJ
I have a 1977 Bronco Ranger, with a modified 302 V8. I am considering putting in a 351W and know that the additional height needs to be accomodated with a hood bubble of some sort. My hood is currently stock except for the addition of about 10 louvers down each side and removal of the center support brace to allow for after market air cleaner clearance.

Does anyone have a recommendations for a hood mod or bubble to allow for the increased height of the 351W. I do know about the oil pan and oil pump modifications (with the required parts available from several sources including James Duff), but not sure about how much height I need over the current engine set up. I did consider having a 50's Thunderbird hood bubble welded in place. My body man who did the louvers in Idaho could have easily done the work, but it does seem like an operation that will require me finding a better than the average run of the mill body shop guy here in NJ. I also don't like the look of the bolt on fiberglass bubbles I have seen from various catalogs. They all look like, well, they all look like bolt on fiberglass parts. I was hoping for a more finished look.

Any input would be great! Thanks.

Brian

Draglink

Loc.
Gloucester, VA
I would wait and see if you need to cut the hood. When I bought my 76' it already had a 351w in it. It fit fine with no cutting, no body lift. I did add a 2" body lift, and a hood bubble later, but not for hood clearance issues. The motor had a Elderbrock carb, w/ a performer intake. I used a low profile air cleaner, but it wasnt any special order deal.

OP
OP
B

bmblauvelt

Loc.
Branchburg, NJ
Thanks

Thanks for the input. I'll hold off on any hood mods before cutting up the nice clean looking hood.

How do you like the Edelbrock carb? I'm considering changing from a Holley to an Edelbrock (I have Edelbrock cam and intake).

What BFG's do you have? I have old worn Mud Terrains, and am considering changing to something a bit more pavement worthy (had a crash last May because of limited stopping ability of the Muds).

Brian

Draglink

Loc.
Gloucester, VA
I have always had Holley, the previous owner had an old Edelbrock, that I replaced with an Edelbrock Thunder Series, 650 Off Road. I did 90% driving on road, but the carb was great! Easy to adjust and re jet. The old carb was a single feed, Thunder is double. I was running 33" BFG All Terrains. They are the best tires for pavement, light off road. The Bronco was my daily driver before I sold it. I put over 100 miles a day on it. I have a growing family, so I had to sell it. Off road for me is strictly beach, BFG All Terrains are great! Thats what I run on my truck(35").

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
wait and see. With the right carb, manifold, and air cleaner it fits fine. I'm currently working on a set-up to get a performer manifold with a q-jet under the stock hood. Ford has a steel manifold that is low profile that fits most set-ups under a stock hood. I think they were common of vans.

OP
OP
B

bmblauvelt

Loc.
Branchburg, NJ
351W hood mods

Thanks for the inputs. Is it safe to presume that I will need no greater height clearance if I put a 351W in with EFI rather than a carb? Either way, it looks like I will hold off doing anything until the engine happens.

Any advice on where to get a good 351W?

Brian