• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

hood scoop or new hood to help cooling.

MonsterBIlly

will adding a hood scoop and cutti g the hood under it improve cooling and airflow?
or, is it better to I stall a fiberglass hood like a cowl style or a hood with the big openings innfront?

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
I Added a forward facing hood scoop and removed the sides of the inner fenders, Both mods made a big difference in cooling. The 1" body lift also seemed to help.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Depends what you're doing in the bronco. If you have an open front facing scoop it drenches your air cleaner and carb with water and mud if you play in the wet stuff.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I wouldn't think a taller or scoooped hood would change things a lot. Just look at the engine compartment in a van. Those compartments are completely closed off on the top and sides.
I think the best thing to do is to add an air dam between the radiaror and grill, to prevent the hot air from recirculating through the radiator.

Timstrk

A. Set the original hood aside. B. Get a glass hood with scoop already cast in and vent the sides of the scoop. Holes with screen back to let the heat chimney out the top. Front will scoop everything, as mentioned, but the sides not so much.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Hole in the back of a scoop will hurt high speed cooling. High pressure at the cowl will be pushing air into the engine compartment. But at low speeds, makes for a great place to vent. So it matters if you are trying to fix low speed cooling or high speed cooling.

The top of the hood is a strange mix of high and low pressure areas. It is not a cut and dry thing of just putting a hole in it (at least for high speed cooling) As little as a couple of inches from one spot to another can change if you are looking at a high pressure or a low pressure spot on the hood. Surprisingly there are probably more high pressure sports than low pressure spots.

OP
OP
MonsterBIlly

MonsterBIlly

currently it gets hot at highway speeds. in traffic it's okay. I do have a set if inner fender cutout screens I can install.
I am almost wondering my crank pulley may be contributing. I have an aluminum bottom. pulley that was off my mustang which may be a 15 percent under drive unit. also, I may re time it and make sure it's not too advanced. for some reason, since adding the hei dizzy, it does not want as much timing as it used too

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Retarded timing will cause the engine to run hot. Advancing won't, but will cause pre-ignition.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
It's not easy to find someone who can cut louvers in the hood. Where did you get that done? I couldn't find anyone in Tucson or Phoenix.

Z Bronco

Bronco Guru
This was done in Oregon many years ago, the guy who did the louvers has been out of business for over 20 years. I got the idea from a friend who did it to his Bronco. I talked to some local hot rodders to find out where a body shop was that could do it.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I wouldn't think a taller or scoooped hood would change things a lot. Just look at the engine compartment in a van. Those compartments are completely closed off on the top and sides.
I think the best thing to do is to add an air dam between the radiaror and grill, to prevent the hot air from recirculating through the radiator.

^THIS^ especially of you have highway overheating. Plus you can do a hack test - make a small air damn from a strip of thin plywood or plastic and secure it under the bumper below the grill and take it for a drive on the highway.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MonsterBIlly

MonsterBIlly

pcf_mark

so block off under the rig between the grill and radiator. what about the top between the grill and radiator. would one of those under hood tool trays help as well?

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
pcf_mark

so block off under the rig between the grill and radiator. what about the top between the grill and radiator. would one of those under hood tool trays help as well?

It possibly could. You want to close off the area between the core support and the radiator, the core support and the grille, and the same areas on the sides (vertical areas) of the radiator/core support/grille as well. I've tried to do this on my truck with some cheap plastic pieces scrounged from early 00's Ford Explorers the past year or two. I haven't thermocoupled anything up to measure temps, etc. but I figure it can't hurt....

I spend A LOT of time in junkyards and as an engineer, it's interesting (and fun to inspect/compare) to see how well modern cooling systems are ducted compared to the rudimentary setups in our trucks.

Todd Z.