• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hood Shocks - The BEST mod ever...

Hogback

For those of you who haven't done it yet, I've just gotta say put some hood shocks on it and you will forever be grateful, especially if you're like me and always opening the hood and working on it or just gawking at it. I just did this mod 2 weeks ago after owning that Bronco for almost 2 years. I wish that would've been the first thing i'd done to it as soon as i got it home. Obviously you guys who want to look original should'nt do this. I think most vendors have them for about $75, or you can get them cheap out of a junk yard or for free off a relatives newer car. I think Aunt Beverly's car is a mid 90's Pontiac. They worked great on the Bonco but i will say that the Bronco's stock hood prop rod isn't doing too well on her Pontiac, he he he

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
i can respect that you love em , but I have seen then installed , and no thanks, they are in the way to work on the EB

OP
OP
Hogback

Hogback

I see what you mean about getting in the way on the sides, however mine are pretty long so i was able to mount the base way back near the fresh air intakes. These are pretty much completely out of the way. I havent really looked at the ones that EB venders sell so i can't compare. For me the prop bar was ALWAYS in the way and difficult to get the end of it into the hole on the bottom side of the hood.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
On this subject does anyone know of a set that will hold up a really heavy hood. My hood has a bunch of extra metal and fiberglass on it which makes it pretty heavy. None of the shocks I've tried so far will hold it up safely.

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
Saddleup
here's the answer for you
Rear hatch shocks off a mini van honda odysey I think
Mounted so when the hood is open the shocks are out of the way
TOFIC

Attachments

• hoodshock1.JPG
    hoodshock1.JPG
    227.3 KB · Views: 124
  • hoodshock2.JPG
    hoodshock2.JPG
    218.5 KB · Views: 168
  • Hoodshock1.jpg.JPG
    Hoodshock1.jpg.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 83
  • Hoodshock2.jpg.JPG
    Hoodshock2.jpg.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 147
  • Hoodshock3.jpg.JPG
    Hoodshock3.jpg.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 113
  • Hoodshock4.jpg.JPG
    Hoodshock4.jpg.JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 92
  • Hoodshock4.jpg.JPG
    Hoodshock4.jpg.JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 83
  • Hoodshock5.jpg.JPG
    Hoodshock5.jpg.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 143

Scott M

Loc.
Baltimore
Walker949

you've got some good tricks.

I was wondering why there wasn't a tech article on the hood struts and liftgate struts. I mean there's one for an isuzu antennae and a vent window lock.

I did the liftgate one years ago, and it was great, and cheap and easy as hell. found the article somewhere w/ teh part #s and all. any chance of you doin that for your hood strut install.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
TOFIC said:
Saddleup
TOFIC
Thanks, I'll need to see if I can find a set next time I get out to U-Pull-It.

SeaBiscuit68

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tacoma Wa
I really like the option of opening the hood all the way. You know what I mean layed back against the ws frame. I suppose if the hood shocks had some kind of quick release you could have the best of both worlds. It also occurs to me that prop rods never wear out. plusses and minusses either way.

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
SeaBiscuit68 said:
I really like the option of opening the hood all the way. You know what I mean layed back against the ws frame. I suppose if the hood shocks had some kind of quick release you could have the best of both worlds. It also occurs to me that prop rods never wear out. plusses and minusses either way.
Look at the 4th pic (top right) That looks like a quick release to me.

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
feitctaj said:
i can respect that you love em , but I have seen then installed , and no thanks, they are in the way to work on the EB

Mine are very easy to pop loose at the fender and lay the hood all the way back. That's what I do when working under the hood.

joser

Loc.
Chesterfield, MI
TOFIC said:
Saddleup
TOFIC

Those shocks look beefy. Do you think you could get the hood more vertical? I want to do this mod, but want to get my hood more vertical when open.

Thanks,

Duke Nukem

Loc.
Simi Valley
I've been running hood shocks for 6 years and have never looked back. If I bought another bronco one of the first things I would do is outfit it with new hood shocks. I don't ever have a problem with them being in the way and, like a lot of bronco owners, I'm under the hood a lot.

Broncoman

Bronco Guru
I bought the ones from BC Broncos almost 5 years ago and they are great. They come off easy. A flat head screw driver and about 2 secs per side.

I also got the liftgate shock. That help quiet down the rattles from the back.

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
I have a fiberglass front clip that hinges in reverse. I will be adding these type of shocks off a 2001 Ford Windstar. That rear gate is much heavier than our stuff.

redleg3

I second the comment about the hood shocks, they are great!!! I bought mine from BC Broncos and am very pleased. Took about 30 minutes to install and I took my time.

Triggerman

Loc.
Henderson TN
Just ordered the ones from the Surplus Outlet link (thanks). I will post how they work. Got 2 ARBs but wont cough up enough $ for "good" hood shocks (sorry Chuck, but I have and will get Plenty of other stuff from ya ;)

Sac '68 sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Orangevale
SaddleUp said:
On this subject does anyone know of a set that will hold up a really heavy hood. My hood has a bunch of extra metal and fiberglass on it which makes it pretty heavy. None of the shocks I've tried so far will hold it up safely.

Got mine off a 85-92 Caddy El Dorado or Seville (the little one). The shocks are nice and long so you can get the hood almost verticle depending on where and how you mount them. The more vertical you get the hood the less weight there is on the shocks. Holds my stock hood up good and I'm sure they could take more weight 'cause I have to pull pretty hard at the top for a foot or so to get it to come down.

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
TOFIC said:
Saddleup
TOFIC

where did you get the bottom mounts?
the tops just look to be some plate metal bent to shape.
juuuuuuuuust wondering.... :D