• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Nitrogen Hood Shocks recommendations

jckkys

Bronco Guru
When going to hood shocks (nitrogen cylinders), for my steel hood, what do I need to know before ordering?

JSBX

Contributor
Hood

Duffs.They seem to brace the hood better than some of the other vendors.

Readhead

If you have the length and what you think the hood weighs look at
McMastercar they sell all types sizes and ratings

OP
OP
J

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Thanks. I agree the Duffs cylinders lift the hood further away from the hinges and would be less likely to stress the hood.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
The ones that have the shocks attached to the rear of the hood have a greater risk of bending the hood if the shocks were to bind up.
Either way, it's one of my favorite mods.
Mine are the ones that go to the rear. I'm just extra careful.;)

TDubya

Loc.
Fortuna, CA
The ones that have the shocks attached to the rear of the hood have a greater risk of bending the hood if the shocks were to bind up.
Either way, it's one of my favorite mods.
Mine are the ones that go to the rear. I'm just extra careful.;)

I had the same shocks on mine when a "buddy" closed the hood at elevation and tacoed the hood. I now have Duff's shocks with the hood braces. Highly recommended.

OP
OP
J

jckkys

Bronco Guru
My hood was one of the last Ford made and sold. I sure don't want to bend it. I'm getting the Duff's receiver hitch already so I may save some on shipping by combining both parts.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
My hood was one of the last Ford made and sold. I sure don't want to bend it. I'm getting the Duff's receiver hitch already so I may save some on shipping by combining both parts.

I've got that hitch, and love it!
However, the first time I used it, the tongue weight bent it down. The receiver tube is mounted to the cross member with a piece of I/2" thick flat stock. It looks substantial, but what happens is the added length of a dropped drawbar works like a big lever. You actual tongue weight is multiplied by this added length. Most Broncos are high enough that a pretty good drop is needed on the drawbar.
What I ended up doing was to gusset the space between the receiver tube and the cross member with another of spare receiver tube.
I had to notch the bottom of the bumper to clear the gusset. My rear bumper had already been butchered on the bottom side, so it was no big deal.

Attachments

• jj.jpg
    jj.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 62
OP
OP
J

jckkys

Bronco Guru
Blubuckeroo, What was the tongue weight, that bent yours? Would tying it to the bumper, in the middle give it the needed strength. I don't plan on putting more than 100 lbs. on the ball. I would only pull a pop up camper and a small boat trailer. I don't see another hitch that has as much ground clearance, so it's still my first choice.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
I checked, and my actual tongue weight was less than 200 pounds. Way under the 300 pounds the hitch is rated for.
I even contacted Duffs about it, and that's where the info about leverage of a lowering drawbar came from. My Bronco only has a 2" lift and took a 8" dropped drawbar. It will be even worse with more lift and a lower bar.

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
I have 2 WH Shox N the Hood shocks available. They sent me 70# shocks which are for steel hoods and just sent me 50# shocks for my fiberglass hood. I have the hood brackets somewhere as well but not the fender brackets. Let me know if interested.

DJBRONCO

Contributor
Loc.
Pawleys Island
JefeAz, my hood shocks are finally giving out. I just need the shocks and not the brackets. If you want to get rid of them, let me know.I've got a home for them.