• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hopefully a simple np435 question

toddmedin

Hello all,
I am putting a '91 Tbird 5.0 HO into my '72 Bronco.
I also bought an np435 originally from an unknown vehicle.
I also bought a flywheel for a '88 F150 (50-oz 164 tooth). (edit: I originally said '78)

What pilot bearing do I need?

Thanks,
Todd

Last edited:

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Can't answer your original question, but you might need the adapter to make the 2 bolt clutch arm bolt up to the engine/transmission.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I also bought a flywheel for a '78 F150 (50-oz 164 tooth).

That doesn't sound right Todd. Is it a typo? You mean '88 or '98 by any chance?
While your engine should have the 50oz (since it's an HO) crank, your best donor truck flywheel would be from a mid-'90's truck with 302/5.0 (but NOT a 5.8). You're on the money with the 50oz and 164 tooth, so I thought I'd comment on your '78 number.

What pilot bearing do I need?

Pretty sure you just use the standard one for your '72.
Been awhile since I had to think about that though, so hopefully someone else will chime in to confirm or deny.

Paul

OP
OP
T

toddmedin

Good catch DirtDonk...typo...

I meant to say '88 F150 flywheel...not '78...I'll correct the original post.

Todd

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Good. Glad I wasn't just imagining it! ;D

Anyone care to comment on the pilot bearing/bushing? Of course I forgot to ask while I was at work today (I'm so easily sidetracked... Oh look! A Bronco!) so don't want to confirm or deny.
I'll check tomorrow though, if nobody pops in with the answer.

What about the stock one though? Do you have one handy to try over the snout of the input shaft? Since you know it fits the engine, all you have to do is try it on the trans and you're good.
Or, go to the Centerforce catalog and verify what bearing was used for a truck equipped with an NP435 and a 302 or 351.
That should tell the tale too. Bet it's the same number, but I won't put money on that bet!

Paul

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Everything I've ever seen indicates that the pilot bearing never changed size throughout the run of the small block ford. you only had a change in types either bushing style or needle bearing style. I'd stick with the bushing style. I've never seen the needle bearing type last to long unless it was the orginal one.

OP
OP
T

toddmedin

OK...this is where I am currently

Using the guidance others have left on this thread...I did some more searching, and eventually arrived at this...hopefully it is a solid solution.

I bought a needle-bearing type...National part #FC65174. It was for the 91 Tbird "sport" (not a 5.0), but after measuring things it looked like it would fit over the np435 shaft and into the crank cavity...its dimensional specs are:
Bore Size: 0.6733 in. (17.102mm)
Outside Diameter: 1.45 in. (36.83mm)
Width: 0.688 in. (17.475mm)

I had also checked to see what was sold for hte '88 F150...National #FC65662...but, no one nearby had one available...and the specs were very similar:
Bore Size: 0.6733 in. (17.102mm)
Outside Diameter: 1.45 in. (36.83mm)
Width: 0.67 in. (17.018mm)

So, tonight, I'll try to install it...

Todd