• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hosed again, 351w with serpentine and reversed inlete/outlets.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
351W with explorer serpentine front dress
90 degree thermostat housing
Aluminum rad with the reversed (non-stock) inlet/outlets.

Looking for recommendations for the upper and lower hoses.

I have bought at least three and they aren't going to work and I hate the idea of doing some kind of cobbled together combination of exhaust pipe and rubber hose but maybe that's what I have to do?

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
used the 4.0 Explorer radiator on mine with the same set up if that's any help.....can get more pics

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
351W with explorer serpentine front dress
90 degree thermostat housing
Aluminum rad with the reversed (non-stock) inlet/outlets.

Looking for recommendations for the upper and lower hoses.

I have bought at least three and they aren't going to work and I hate the idea of doing some kind of cobbled together combination of exhaust pipe and rubber hose but maybe that's what I have to do?
I ordered from WH, fits perfectly.

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Thanks, it might be an option if I don't make this work. Hell this radiator is brand new and I would hate to buy another one. I just can't imagine that this is a big deal. The serpentine stuff is the same regardless if it's a 5.0 or a 5.8/351w I got one hose to work on the upper last night, but had to heat up the upper to squeeze it on.
Ordered what? the hoses?

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
Thanks, it might be an option if I don't make this work. Hell this radiator is brand new and I would hate to buy another one. I just can't imagine that this is a big deal. The serpentine stuff is the same regardless if it's a 5.0 or a 5.8/351w I got one hose to work on the upper last night, but had to heat up the upper to squeeze it on.

Ordered what? the hoses?
Yes, hoses. If you call wild horses and let them know exactly what you're configuration is they'll ship you the right hoses. If mine were nearby I'd go look and see if they have Gates numbers on them or something they could be cross-referenced at the local auto parts store because I'm quite certain that they're commodity hoses, but the EB is at the shop and I'm at work.

JB

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
So I called Wild horses a minute ago and they said do not stock anything for this application as they can't seem to make them work? Just crazy to me that this could be this hard and parts houses don't or won't stock them?

OH well, back to the locals and you good fellas to find what I need.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I fabricated an upper and lower pipe from exhaust tubing. I had a few 90 and 180 degree bends laying around I welded them into the correct pieces and the used pieces of rad hose from the original application to make the connections to rad and water pump. On one I had a 180 degree bend to a straight section and used the 90 degree from the rubber hose to make it fit w/o any more pipe. A muffler shop could probably bend you some if the truck was in front of them.

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Well I finally got something to work.

The BII upper hose just really didnt fit right but might work in a pinch for me.
Ended up using a 15" flexhose on top and while not attractive does seem to fit well.
I will post the bottom hose number when I get back to the shop.

davisjstone

Contributor
BroncoNewbie
Might be too late, but I spent some time with the same issue. I only have my hoses mocked up, but the best ones I've found for my 351W, explore serp, and champion reversed outlet radiator...

Upper hose: Gates 21736
Lower hose: Gates 20841

OP
OP
bigmuddy

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
I need to pick up the gates 21736 as it looks slightly different than the BII hose I tried.
The 20841 looks very close to the one I used on the bottom but of course needed cut down and Im ok with that.

Need to see if my local Oriellys has the 21736 and do a comparison. Thanks much