• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hosed on a power steering box :(

OP
OP
barronj

barronj

Bronco Guru
I figured so.

The fact that it was all cleaned up & spray painted, and then the amount that it leaked don't fit together at all. I wouldn't be surprised if he'd pulled it apart to reseal, saw the damaged sector shaft, slapped it back together, cleaned it, painted it, and sold it.

Last edited:

70_Steve

Old Guy
I've JB welded pits in the seal area of a shaft before.
I did the same on my 4x4x2 box I built. I used a utility knife blade to spread the JB Weld as evenly as I could. Then after it cured, used 600 paper and WD40 to smooth it out. It doesn't leak!

bigjhoov

nobody
They can make your '73 box quicker by changing a valve in the box. I think they use a valve from an Astro van to do so. A word of caution though, this makes it a 3-turn box which is too fast IMO. You might ask Matt if he has any of these valves on hand and what his take on the subject is.

Tom at PSC is also a wealth of knowledge on the subject. Might be worth a call.

Buying used parts is tricky. I would ask for my money back on that one though.

I try to be up front and as honest with people when selling parts to avoid situations like this.

CoachDowell

Ok I found out tonight this was posted. The guy from Austin texted me in July about the gearbox. I told him it was pulled of a running trail rig that I drove it off the trailer and into the back yard. I offered to meet him half way. That wouldn't work so he mailed a check and I shipped it August 5th. So two months go by and he texted me it was leaking. I was surprised cause it wasn't when it left. He was upset and I understand that. I told him that I would EXCHANGE the gearbox. I do not have the 400 right now because I bought another bronco. I have been playing with broncos over 20 years buying and selling parts and broncos and this is the first issue. With that being said it takes a low person to call me at 10:30 at night and threaten my family and cuss me! It was a blocked number and I pray it stops. I in no way tried to "hose" this guy. I am willing to take the gearbox off my personal driver and give it to him. I do not know who called I'm sure it wasn't the guy in Austin as he seemed like a decent guy. I won't use his name and post his number!

JSmall

Bronco Guru
I won't get into your personal deal with the other member because unlike some, I don't know the full story, but I do agree with you about the caller. Sounds like a real ass bag.

OP
OP
barronj

barronj

Bronco Guru
Dowell has offered to make right. Even offered to send a self addressed box to my mechanic (to ship the original box back to Dowell) to save me an hour & a half round trip drive. I have to take my olive branch of barley pops to the mechanic anyway, but it was a solid gesture.

Dowell, it was my mistake to post your #. Sorry you got the harrassing call.

OP
OP
barronj

barronj

Bronco Guru
Pretty sure I ended up with an early, 6 turn to lock box :^(

It showed up this last weekend, and I dropped it in on Monday. When I jacked the bronco up in the air to try & clear out any air in the lines, spinning the wheel all the way left & right, going from lock to lock, I started realizing how many times the steering wheel was spinning, so I counted, and got 5.5 turns to lock.

There must be air in the line or something, but right now, I have no PS/PB (i run hydroboost), but the wierd thing is, there is no whine to the pump. Sounds normal, full of fluid etc. It has belched fluid all over the DS engine compartment once (yesterday)... what a nightmare this became, all from trying to trade up on steering boxes.

1sicbronconut

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The quick ratio conversion involves replacing the sector shaft with one from a 4x4 Astro van. maybe get some of your $$ back from the seller and send Matt @ West Texas the 76' box since it need a sector shaft anyhow??

Could have sworn Matt at West Texas told me it was the sector but that was 10 plus years ago and I am over 50%) anyhow I still have the box someplace but I cracked the side of it down toward the output years ago coming down Moab Rim anybody think the box or it's parts might be good for anything??

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
The sector is the long shaft has like 4 teeth it doesnt change ratio. you only have the bronco and the scout sector shaft for options and they are the same and the only ones long enough to fit a bronco power steering box.. Ratio changes are in the worm and piston.
So basically you can take a gm car or truck box remove the worm and piston and install into a bronco box and get quicker steering.

bigjhoov

nobody
Pretty sure I ended up with an early, 6 turn to lock box :^(

From who, WTO? That sucks but i'm sure he'll make it right if they made the mistake.

Did you test the box before sending it to make sure it was a 4-turn box? Should have taken the seller up on his offer to return.

OP
OP
barronj

barronj

Bronco Guru
From who, WTO? That sucks but i'm sure he'll make it right if they made the mistake.

Did you test the box before sending it to make sure it was a 4-turn box? Should have taken the seller up on his offer to return.

The original seller sent me the box off his truck, which I was under the distinct impression that it was a 4 turn box. I road tested his fist box, and it was definitely a 4 turn box. His replacement to me wound up being a 6 turn box. It works, and doesn't leak, but sheesh, I don't put this experience in the W column.

Last edited:

bigjhoov

nobody
Well, then that REALLY sucks. Money back...... that's all I'm sayin'.