• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Houston mechanic/shop

Slapdad

Loc.
Houston, TX
Does anyone know of a good mechanic (or possibly even a shop that specializes or even has a good understanding of Broncos) in the Houston area? I have a 1970 Bronco that my dad bought new I've been holding onto it for him (and by holding onto it, of course I mean driving it ;D), but I would like to hand it back over to him for him to enjoy now that he is retired. Before I do that, however, it is time for a new engine in the old horse and I don't have the time or energy for a project like that. I'm guessing a 5.0 with EFI would be a good choice to give him something that is more reliable. Any suggestions/opinions about who to call or even which engine choice would be greatly appreciated.

rbwamsley

Javier's Gulf Coast Crawl Shop. Great guy. He works on Broncos, Jeeps, FJs and etc. If there's something I can't do myself, I take it to him.

www.gulfcoastcrawlshop.com/
The shop is off of Clay Rd near Blalock

BRONCROB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WISNER LA.
I haven't dealt with them but there's a place in La porte that had a few in their lot.I never stopped by but it may be worth checkin out.I think they are on Spencer hwy off of 146 on the right.
1408 W. main Laporte tx. Look on google earth street view.The have 3 sitting there:DIt's on spencer though.

Last edited:

Bronco Sully

Loc.
Houston
Tech Auto on Waugh in the heights. Usually several broncos/jeeps/other 4x4s in the lot. Owners drives one and obviously knows his broncos. I think the owners name is Bobbie. I had a good experience with them with some tranny work. Check them out on yelp, mostly good reviews (some break ins on the property in the past). Probably worth a call to see if they do what your looking for.

zbronco

Loc.
Houston
What side of houston? Houston area covers a lot of space. I am on the north side and will be happy to help.

OP
OP
S

Slapdad

Loc.
Houston, TX
What side of houston? Houston area covers a lot of space. I am on the north side and will be happy to help.

I live in Cypress (290 & Fry area) and work in the Woodlands, so anywhere in between would be good. I traded emails with someone on this board back in 2008 about doing some work, but a divorce meant that I had to take the Bronco underground ;D and I see that person is now banned (and maybe out of state now) anyway, so its back to square one.

Any thoughts on going with a 5.0 with EFI rather than a naturally aspirated 302? I would think it would be much more reliable. If so, where is the best place to pick one up?

Thanks for the replies!

Fairlane514

Loc.
Houston
I also live on the Northwest side, not too far from 290/Fry road. I will help with whatever I can.

I haven't done much with EFI, but just built a 347 with a carburetor. I put my lift kit in, roll cage, seats, brakes etc…

I also have a lot of tools and a welder. I have friends in Alvin that own a machine shop and may have a 5.0 EFI, or know where to get one.

zbronco

Loc.
Houston
I live in Cypress (290 & Fry area) and work in the Woodlands, so anywhere in between would be good. I traded emails with someone on this board back in 2008 about doing some work, but a divorce meant that I had to take the Bronco underground ;D and I see that person is now banned (and maybe out of state now) anyway, so its back to square one.

Any thoughts on going with a 5.0 with EFI rather than a naturally aspirated 302? I would think it would be much more reliable. If so, where is the best place to pick one up?

Thanks for the replies!

We are not to far apart...bet you will be glad with the GP is complete between 290 and the Woodlands.

There are trade offs for each option, FI or naturally aspirated. Are you looking at aftermarket FI or finding a ford EFI?

I did the aftermarket FI on my first bronco and have a stock carb on my current bronco. both can be reliable and good for a DD. I needed additional tools to setup, troubleshoot and work on the EFI, namely a computer to tune, and the internet to research.

Be glad to help in any way..

OP
OP
S

Slapdad

Loc.
Houston, TX
THe GP will be a huge help in getting to work. Turn an hour drive into a 20 minute drive....it can't be finished fast enough for me.

zbronco and fairlane....thanks for the offers to help, truly appreciated! I'm not sure where I'll land as far as which EFI or even which motor at this point. Just getting some input and will try to get a ballpark figure and go from there.

Fairlane, if you talk to your friend in Alvin, I'd be interested in what he has or can dig up, I'd be interested for sure. I am also going to put a lift on and I do have a few body panels that need replacing (floor pan replacements), so a welder would certainly come in handy.

ricky

Loc.
beaumon,texas 77706
another option is texas auto gear..david did alot of work on my old two wheel drive F150 conversion to straight axle,etc..i have seen alot of nice rides come out of his shop..i will actually be talking to him about my bronco build as well..just an idea
if interested shoot me a pm sometime,and i'll get you his info,etc

mlaird

Loc.
Houston,TX
anyone else have any suggestions? I am having a transmission problem and am located near the medical center. Id love to take it by tech auto since its fairly close but my stock bronco doesn't have a top and and when I spoke to them they said that they leave their vehicles outside night with the doors unlocked so that people don't break the windows(not exactly reassuring) and have a lengthy list of break in reviews online