• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How bout another D20 rebuild question thread - to twinstick or not?

Nightstick

Bronco guy
I'm in the middle of tearing down a D20 T-Shift. Like some others I get to the step of removing the front shaft bearing and it ain't coming out. This does have the snap ring behind the bearing. The bearing will NOT move at all even after an hour of wedging, heat, and PB Blaster. I've looked at a few other threads, and they mostly talk about the J-shift. I'm stuck, so I'm hoping someone has a suggestion.

Let me make sure I'm clear on exactly what I have to do... Move the bearing foward, remove snap ring, take shaft out. Here's the problem I see. The bearing is tapered with the small end toward the outside of the case meaning the cup/race is stopping the bearing from moving ?:?

I tapped the shaft back and it moved about 1/2", but this doesn't solve the problem because I still can't get the bearing off. Does the bearing need to come all the way out to remove the snap ring, or just a little?

While I'm at it, I'm also having trouble removing the slide gear. Am I supposed to move the shift rail forward to get that out?

Thanks

Last edited:

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Some '73 T shifts have a snap ring and some do not. Prior to '73 all had the snap ring.

You have the manual instructions?

OP
OP
Nightstick

Nightstick

Bronco guy
Some '73 T shifts have a snap ring and some do not. Prior to '73 all had the snap ring.

You have the manual instructions?

I read a post you put up before saying "If the serial number is higher than 1725743 it won't have the snap ring", mine is older than that one, and I can see the snap ring. Here's the instructions I'm using.

I got the shaft knocked out of the back, which removed the race. Still won't budge. I tried to put a puller on the rear bearing. Mangled it but wouldn't pull it off. :mad:

OP
OP
Nightstick

Nightstick

Bronco guy
Got it... As bronco owners we all know pretty much nothing goes smoothly, but that was probably the biggest PITA part I've EVER had!

OP
OP
Nightstick

Nightstick

Bronco guy
Here's what I ended up doing in case someone else runs in to the same issue. First I beat the crap out of the shaft for a while and mangled both bearings (this obviously didn't solve the problem.) Then I pressed off the rear bearing, which also didn't help. Finally I ended up wedging a screwdriver between the bearing and gear and managed to move it a little. When the screwdriver no longer had any effect, I stuck a large pry bar in there and jiggled it back and forth until there was enough room to get the snap ring pliers in and get the snap ring off, which of course allowed the shaft to be removed. This process took quite a while %). Tapping the shaft out allowing the bearing to be moved more to the center of the housing helped.

I was hoping to have it done today so I can put the driveline back in tomorrow... oh well

OP
OP
Nightstick

Nightstick

Bronco guy
Trying to decide whether or not to twin stick this TC. I'd want to grind the shift rails of I was gonna do it, but I'm not real clear on exactly where on the rail and how much to grind. How hard is this to figure out? I've read this write-up, still not real clear to me

OP
OP
Nightstick

Nightstick

Bronco guy
After reading some threads it seems like grinding the shift rails may be more trouble than it's worth. Sounds like I should just remove the interlock pills and call it good.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
Twin stick it and set BOTH outputs with 2-7 inch pounds of preload. I did this on mine and it shifts good, and is quiet! No more popping out of gear either, even 2 low.

There's no grinding involved you just take the shift pills out of the middle of the shift rails.

OP
OP
Nightstick

Nightstick

Bronco guy
Oh crap... Is there supposed to be pins/pills that go between the rails as it sits in the case? If so, mine are either missing, or mixed up with the needle bearings! Are they the same size as the needle bearings?

BTW i just wanna sing the praises of Easy Off Oven cleaner. That stuff works GREAT!!!!!

Crewwzin

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Freeport, Fl
Twin stick it and set BOTH outputs with 2-7 inch pounds of preload. I did this on mine and it shifts good, and is quiet! No more popping out of gear either, even 2 low.

There's no grinding involved you just take the shift pills out of the middle of the shift rails.

How exactly do you go about setting the preload on the outputs? These are the things I need to know!

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
I ground my shift rails, complete waste of time. Next time I will just remove the pills.

OP
OP
Nightstick

Nightstick

Bronco guy
I found a thread from '09 that has a link to a write up on removing the interlock pills. Nice pics and explanation of how to do it.

Here it is