• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How can I be sure that a certian locker will fit my 9"?

Banjer Picker

Bronco Guru
How can I be sure that a locker will fit my 9"?

Cruising through E bay today and saw several different eaton/Detroit lockers as well as some "NASCAR" 9" lockers that show up from time to time. How can I identify which ones will work and which ones won't? (besides the obvious spline count).

For example eBay items #:

Item #: 160687300149
Item #: 150708335469

Thanks!

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Spline count and bearing size. bearing size is 2.89 3.06 and 3.25 Figure out what bearing fits your case. put the end cap on and measure where the bearing goes..

1966bajabronco

If I were you and were going to install a new carrier, I would upgrade to 31 or 35 spline axles at the same time...which I recently did. I went with a Yukon Nudular dropout, 31 spline detroit locker, yukon 31 axle axles and Yukon 4.56 gears.

oh yeah and bearing size as was mentioned above, this matters unless you decide to change your dropout as well.

Last edited:

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
They'll all work in one way or another. All 9in carriers will fit, the think you need to know is the gear ratio. There are 2 different carriers one for tall gears(stock and slightly lower) and one for low gears. A carrier for stock gears can be made to work if a thick gearset is used. I don't believe it works the other way though. What gears do you have or wish to have? someone more knowledgable than me, can give you the actual gear breakdown.

Not correct. The 9" rear end uses the same carrier regardless of gear ratio. The different carriers for different gear ratios only applies to Dana axles - 30, 44, 60, etc.

1966bajabronco

Not correct. The 9" rear end uses the same carrier regardless of gear ratio. The different carriers for different gear ratios only applies to Dana axles - 30, 44, 60, etc.

Thanks for the correction! See I knew someone more knowledgable would come along....my bad. Got the axles mixed up...maybe too much cool aide this afternoon...lol

I'll go edit my post now!

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Most stock broncos will have the 2.89 bearing case. 28 and 31 spline lockers should fit no problem and usually 35 spline lockers need a new case.
Just be aware that most of the nascar stuff is listed to fit either B cases or H cases. B cases are stock 2.89 bearing cases where the H case is the 3.250 aftermarket case.

u10072

Bronco Guru
If you want 35 spline axles the only fit 3.250 and up cases..stock will not work for sure.