• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How Do I Find The Owner of Abandoned Bronc?

Big D

Yesterday, I found what appears to be a 73-75 Bronc sitting along side the road in an industrial area without a single car around it. I thought this was a little unusual, so I went back by there this morning, and sure enough. It's still there. I looked a lot closer, and noticed it has spider webs hanging all over it. It's probably been there for a couple of weeks. It's rough all over, but under that ugly oxidized paint, the body is flawless. There isn't a bad panel anywhere. Even the under side of the rockers have the original paint. I don't think it's seen a dirt road.
My question's are: how do I find the owner of this neglected old girl? I know the DMV won't give me a name if I give them a plate number. So, what do I do? Also, if it gets towed, can I find out then who the owner is? I wouldn't be surprised if it's stolen. I am in Southern California after all. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Big D

blu72

Loc.
Forney, Tx
can you run a carfax report off of the vin?

tow it to your house and apply for a lost or bonded title

MontrealBronco

Loc.
Montreal, Quebec
Call the cops and let them find out if it's stolen or not... If it is, they'll contact the owner and you could leave a note on or in the Bronco. If not, maybe the owner would still find your note. If there's a building or buisseness around, you could ask around... my 2 cents...

Jeff

OP
OP
B

Big D

I like that, just take it!!! I do have an old glove box vin and title just sitting around.;D Might as well use it. Right?;D ;D ;D Obviously joking. Calling the cops and letting them know is a good idea. Thanks.

Big D

MattMoe

Contributor
Loc.
Baton Rouge
the cops won't tell you whose it is most likely, you may have to pull in a favor and have a cop frind run it for you.

ghost66

Bronco Guru
Change the glove box vin and then presto chango it is now your vehicle, but realistically someone here on this site probably works for the PD and could help out a Bronco brother .I found one like this once and looked through the vehicle for anything with a name on it and found a letter. Tracked down the owner and bought it the same day. It was a rust free 69. Hey I'm out in Cucamonga right now visiting relatives, where is that baby I'll get it moved for ya.I've been looking for the last two days for a Bronco to buy and take home and haven't found any bargains.

just take it!!! I do have an old glove box vin and title just sitting around.;D Might as well use it. Right?;D ;D ;D Obviously joking. Calling the cops and letting them know is a good idea. Thanks.

Big D[/QUOTE]

MontrealBronco

Loc.
Montreal, Quebec
BlueEyeDevil said:
the cops won't tell you whose it is most likely, you may have to pull in a favor and have a cop frind run it for you.

It's more of using them as an intermediate. They can tell you if it's stolen or not if you make the call. Then, it's just having them relay a message if they contact the owner.

Jeff

KManuel

Loc.
Cape Cod
If you report it to the police and left a note in it and don't hear, you can always request a copy of the report, which will probably have the owners information.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
steal it and let them find you. Heah thats a good idea

pepper76usa

Loc.
Hiram GA
Take a Pic of it and post it, maybe somebody will know whos it is. Maybe it's mine stolen about 4 years ago. I could never get that lucky. O well just a thought.

OP
OP
B

Big D

I forgot to mention, the Broncos' registration sticker is from '05, and the driver's door is unlocked!!! It's possible that it just broke down by the owner driving his unregistered Bronc, but I'm guessing it was stolen by some kids who wanted a little joy ride. I don't know, it really intrigues me though.

Big D

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
Look in the glovebox for the registration or insurance card. Even though the tags are expired,there should be something with the owners name. People usually only throw the registration slips away after getting a new one, not just when they expire. Heck, I still got my Bronco's original warranty card with the first owners name & address in there, Rodney somethin' from Preston Idaho.
Of course if it isn't stolen, the owner might get pissed if you call him up and tell him you rummaged thru his Bronco.

BoltBuster

Bronco Guru
first leave a note on it, car fax would help in alittle more info, then apply for a lost or bonded title,......dont tow it home...I found mine this way all it took was the note, I even went back and left a second. The guy called me after sometime..

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
i didn't think carfax went back that far. thought it was for long derial number vehicles.
keep us posted on what develops. i'd open the thing up and look for a registration card. you are just trying to help find the owner, not gank anything afterall.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Leave a note, check back in a few days, then look through it. I have had someone rumage through my Bronco while it was parked (its happened three times actually and the first time they stole my tools--since then I try have everything of value locked up, but there were some storage boxes, glove box, etc that didnt lock --now I have multiple Tuffys); obviously, looking for something to steal...I would go ballistic if I ever caught someone inside my truck...thieves deserve their asses on a spit. Admire all you want,leave a note, but if you get inside and rumage, be prepared to have a potentially angry man greet you. You should be able to get whatever you need from the tag, if it has one.

Sbolt19

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Colorado Springs
Something similar happened to my dad about 3 years ago and the 86 F-250 he now has. This truck had been sitting for about 7 years in the parking lot between a dog track and a 7-up bottler. He eventually went and asked both companies if the truck was theirs, they both said it belonged to the other. Did a police check on the vehicle, the police said they had no record of a truck with that vin ever being recorded (the plates had expired in 91) and that as far as they were concerned that he could take the vehicle. He went back to the dog track & 7-up & made sure again that neither was laying claim & then had it towed to his house. Went through a friend at the DMV (did everything by the book) and now he has an 86 F-250 4x4 w/1-ton running gear, 460, 4.11 posi rear end....this truck was fully loaded and had only 32k original on it. Anyway, the point of my babble is that you should take the vin to the police, let them check for stolen or anything else, see if there is a insurance or registration card and go about it that way.