• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How do I tell if I have an original steering column?

rmoore

Loc.
Plano, TX
I've searched, but haven't come up with anything. And if I do have an original column, can I add the switch that will turn the signals off like later model cars/trucks?

Thanks! %)

Pictures added as requested, hopefully they are good enough to see something! The steering wheel that is on there is a Grant wheel, was wanting to change to one from Tom's.

Attachments

• IMG00060.jpg
    IMG00060.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG00063.jpg
    IMG00063.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG00066.jpg
    IMG00066.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG00062.jpg
    IMG00062.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG00064.jpg
    IMG00064.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Chief Master Sergeant

Retired U.S. Air Force
Hard to tell, but if you send pictures it might help. I think all early Broncos came with cancelling cams on the turn signals, but they are easily broken. You can buy a new cam at most auto parts stores.

OP
OP
rmoore

rmoore

Loc.
Plano, TX
Great, thanks! So it's called a cancelling cam? Learn something new every day here! I will post pictures tomorrow morning!

Thank you! :D

broncorick

Even the earliest ones had the cancelling cam. Can replace just the cam or the whole assembly ($20-$30). Easy fix.

OP
OP
rmoore

rmoore

Loc.
Plano, TX
Great, thanks.. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I get into it.... glad it's a cheap, easy fix... I'll post pics tomorrow. So when I go to the parts store, just ask for a signal cancelling cam or assembly for a 73 Bronco? Sorry for the stupid questions...

OP
OP
rmoore

rmoore

Loc.
Plano, TX
Thanks! I will still post pics tomorrow morning because I still want to know if it's original. I want to put a new wheel on it from Tom's and I think they want to know that?

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
I doubt you can get one from a parts house, probably Tom's would be your best bet. I would suggest that before you tear into the column, you should buy a book, the diagrams are VERY helpful, and leave it in the library so when you are doing the deed, you can learn about YOUR Bronco

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Yep! Turn signal switch is what they call it.

A turn signal switch is the whole switch assembly and wiring loom that runs about $40 at the parts houses. A replacement cam is just the turn signal canceling mechanism that presses onto the switch itself. The cam runs about $15 at the parts houses.