• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How do I test the Coil?

71massbronco

Bronco Guru
Stock 71 302 with stock coil and points.

I am thinking of converting to electronic ignition but until then what is the best way to test?

Am I looking for load or voltage. I have searched exhaustively and youtubed but can't find info.

crews44

Loc.
Mullica Hill, NJ
stick your tongue on a plug wire as NYLES says....

I know this is a useless response but I believe you measure resistance to ground with them but one of the experts I sure can tell you.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Measure resistance on both the primary (between 2 small terminals) and secondary (between BAT and spark terminal) circuits with all wires disconnected. Primary should be 1-2 ohms, secondary should be 7K-13K ohms.

01Dudley

Loc.
Knoxville
Stick your thumb in the coil wire and tell someone to crank it over. I actually talked a guy into doing this once! It was before cell phones w/cameras so I have no proof, but man it was awesome! He was ok and I almost felt bad after we all quit laughing. Almost.

01Dudley

Loc.
Knoxville
Nope

68 Nova sbc w/msd6al, blaster coil and billet distributor! It was like watching a cartoon. Even funnier was the guy turning the key who was try'n to watch through the bottom of the lifted hood and refusing to let go of the key until he positioned himself good enough to catch a glimpse. I bet that was the longest 3-4 seconds of his life! That was in 1992 and it still makes me laugh.

go ahead and admit it.it was you wasn't it?

JSBX

Contributor
68 Nova sbc w/msd6al, blaster coil and billet distributor! It was like watching a cartoon. Even funnier was the guy turning the key who was try'n to watch through the bottom of the lifted hood and refusing to let go of the key until he positioned himself good enough to catch a glimpse. I bet that was the longest 3-4 seconds of his life! That was in 1992 and it still makes me laugh.

Makes me laugh and I was not even there.

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
I have seen the same stunt....really funny!!..I even watched an idiot test a tazer on himself....yes laying on the concrete....vibrating....even BETTER..LOL

OP
OP
71massbronco

71massbronco

Bronco Guru
Well I didn't roll ol school on testing the coil. It Ohm'd out correctly so I was good to go. Got spark, but as I was cranking, it acted like it wanted to go, but backfired. I am going to start another thread to get some ideas and what may going on now. Thanks for the help Viperwolf!