• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

how do i tighten my 351w belt

nolabronco

Got a squeal, searched and couldnt find the answer I wanted, how do I tighten the belt on my 351w to get rid of this squeal?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Do you know if you've got a standard belt and alternator setup? Does it squeal only at certain times? In other words, if when turning, it would likely be a power steering/belt issue. If right after starting up, it's likely an alternator belt issue.

If "standard" Bronco stuff, then the two bolts holding the alternator tight need to be just lightly loosened, then pull outward (to the passenger side) from the bottom. When proper tension is achieved, tighten the lower bolt first.

But some pics would help too. Just in case your setup has been modified. If you're running a larger alternator, it might be time for some other mods to keep the squealing down.

Paul

OP
OP
N

nolabronco

i'll get some pics, it only happens when in drive till about 20 mph then it seems to work itself out.. i can't tell which belt it is because it doesnt squeal at idle, only under power.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The stopping after a bit sounds like it could be the alternator, but I've found that usually it will squeal at a fast idle too, right after you start it up. But it's worse in the morning when there's a little more moisture in the air around here.

That could mean that it's still the alternator, but perhaps just that your belt is a little glazed over, and the pullies are dirty/slick.
Mine were. After a new belt didn't cure the squeal when I changed to a larger alternator, I found that a super cleaning of the grooves helped a lot. Used carb cleaner (Chemtool in my case) and a Scotch-Brite pad and some sand paper too, and got them "squeaky" clean (no pun intended) and that did the trick.
Unfortunately, it would only last for a few months at a time and then the squealing would slowly come back as things glazed over and deposits of rubber from slipping built up again.

My eventual cure was to go to a dual-groove pulley on the alternator.
Again though, this was due to me installing a more powerful and physically larger alternator on my Bronco. Same thing happens to at least half the people here that change out their alternators and keep the v-belts. Which is why I thought a picture would be a good thing so we can see if there have been any obvious changes from stock.

Good luck.

Paul