• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How do you feel about JP Rock Eater T-Case Gears??

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
Just curious...
thinking ahead....
I like the highway cruising with my 3.50s and 35" tires, but would love a slower crawl speed...
I like not having to mod much else, no more holes in the floor, no drive-line mods, no extra resistance from a Cold-Duck set up....

I just dunno... curious minds wanna know???
cool

tonto

Bronco Guru
Try doing a search, I started a topic on them in the last year or so with a link to a thread on POR with pictures of a broken set and if I remember correctly there were several posts from others who had problems with them breaking also.

Dennis

Loc.
Northern California
I've never herd of them breaking. They just don't add up for me. $1600 for the gears. Another $400-$500 for heavy duty output shaft. For that kind of money, I'd just get an Atlas II.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
I have run them and know a lot of others that are. They are very well made. Never heard of a set breaking.

OP
OP
S

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
[quote author=Dennis link=board=5;threadid=16630;start=0#msg126615 date=1051028131]
I've never herd of them breaking. They just don't add up for me. $1600 for the gears. Another $400-$500 for heavy duty output shaft. For that kind of money, I'd just get an Atlas II.
[/quote]

Ya See?? I would have never thought you'd need a beefier output shaft... See, ya never know...
Shoot, I'd get an atlas too... man... it never ends...

I'll try the search...

tonto

Bronco Guru
Here's the link to the POR thread. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=93105
Chuck, is this not the same Mfg. of you gear set, if not my mistake and I appologise for making a wrong connection between the two. Take care, Francois.

PICT0010.JPG

Howdy

Loc.
Folsom, Ca
Isn't that the thread that talks about the weakness of the TeraLow gear set for the Dana 300? Unless Tera makes the JP Rockeater gears I don't see the connection.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That picture is not of a bronco D-20 case. The bronco case has straight cut gears for the low range, the pictured ones are helical cut.

I have heard of problems with the Teralow D-300 Jeep gears. But, I have not heard any problems with the rockeaters or the Teralow bronco D-20 gearsets.

I would spend my money on an Atlas before I did the rockeaters. The rockeaters double the torque available to the output shaft, making the upgrade a really good idea if you push it even slightly. The Atlas is bomb proof and will cost the same or less then the rock eaters.

If you are cheap, the Tera lows are living nicely behind my 351.