• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How do you get the tranny fluid out?

maws75

Trying to drain my c-4 , is there a way to get the fluid out of the torque converter to? I would like to get as much of the burnt fluid out as possible, or do I need to take it some where and get it flushed?

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Remove the inspection plate on the front of the bell housing and rotate the motor, look for a drain plug. Been a while since I messed with any autos but if memory serves me correctly there is a drain plug on the T/C.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Not all of them have a drain on the TC. you will need some luck. But it's worth a look.

Good luck
Bax

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
Remove the inspection plate on the front of the bell housing and rotate the motor, look for a drain plug. Been a while since I messed with any autos but if memory serves me correctly there is a drain plug on the T/C.
That is correct for the C-4. It is easier to find it with a remote starter button, that way you can bump the motor around until you have the plug at 6-O-clock position. The torque converter drain plug will be visible through a hole in the flexplate. It is a 1/8" pipe plug that requires a 7/16" socket to remove and install it. Do not overtighten it or you could cause a permanent leak.

All C-4s have a TC drain plug from the factory. The only ones that dont have been modified.

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
If you don't have a remote starter, have a budy rotate the crankshaft with a ratchet while you watch the TC spin around, inspection plate removed. There should be a plug (if your's has one).

OP
OP
M

maws75

It doesnt have one I just went around 3 or 4 times and dont see it,one hole has threads like one was there but nothing behind it

OP
OP
M

maws75

Its a 75 but i think the po bought it seperate because it wasnt installed when i bought the bronco ,the whole bronco was a basket case when i bought it.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
OK plan B. Don't laugh too much, this is actually the recomended transmission fluid change procedure on many new cars these days.

Remove the trans cooler lines, put them into a bucket. (all you really need is the fluid out, but if you mix them up you end up with an unexpected mess.) Put a funnel into the trans dipstick. Have someone start the engine and pour fluid into the transmission at about the same rate you see fluid running out the cooler line. Continue until the fluid running out into the bucket changes from dark to clean. Stop the engine, reconnect the cooler hoses, adjust the fluid level to bring into spec.

deltabronco

Bronco Guru
I just drained my 76 yesterday. First of all put a large drain pan under the tranny this was kindof messy.Haynes says to loosen the bolts on the oil pan below the tranny. You may need to use a flathead screwdriver to loosen the seal.Once most of the fluid is drained go ahead and remove the bolts and pour the remainder of the fluid in your drain pan. The filter or screen will also be visible and is held in place with screws. I would probably change it while it is assesable. Be sure to clean the seal or gasket material off the pan. Clean tha transmission oil pan thoroughly with solvent, let it dry completely. Be sure also to clean around where the oil pan connected, get all the fluid off. When everything is clean and the filter is replaced puta bead of gasket sealant around the rim of the pan and in the bolt holes, or use a seal if you can locate one. Press the pan back in place( make sure bolt holes line up). Tighten up the bolts in a diagonal fashion and that is it! There is another 3 paragraphs on filling the tranny. Let me know if you need them and I can give you my # off site. I would recommend getting a Haynes manual. I has been a big help.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I just drained my 76 yesterday. First of all put a large drain pan under the tranny this was kindof messy.Haynes says to loosen the bolts on the oil pan below the tranny. You may need to use a flathead screwdriver to loosen the seal.Once most of the fluid is drained go ahead and remove the bolts and pour the remainder of the fluid in your drain pan. The filter or screen will also be visible and is held in place with screws. I would probably change it while it is assesable. Be sure to clean the seal or gasket material off the pan. Clean tha transmission oil pan thoroughly with solvent, let it dry completely. Be sure also to clean around where the oil pan connected, get all the fluid off. When everything is clean and the filter is replaced puta bead of gasket sealant around the rim of the pan and in the bolt holes, or use a seal if you can locate one. Press the pan back in place( make sure bolt holes line up). Tighten up the bolts in a diagonal fashion and that is it! There is another 3 paragraphs on filling the tranny. Let me know if you need them and I can give you my # off site. I would recommend getting a Haynes manual. I has been a big help.

That only got the oil that was in the pan. Most of the oil is in the converter. Lot harder to change that.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
OK, so how do you drain the rest of the fluid if you cant start the engine?
Please read the thread, it is about draining the torque converter, if you read post #11, you can start the engine to drain the torque converter fluid.

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
It doesnt have one I just went around 3 or 4 times and dont see it,one hole has threads like one was there but nothing behind it

If you cant find the drain plug, the trans was installed wrong and the plug is behind the balance weight.

If this is the problem, you will have bigger problems when you start the engine!

deltabronco

Bronco Guru
But I cant start the engine. I have an engine, transmission and chassis. Everything else is gone. I need to pull the engine and tranny. I wanted to drain them before pulling.

OP
OP
M

maws75

So do I need to unbolt the flywheel and spin the tc around till it lines up with one of the holes in the flywheel? Will that work?