• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How does tailight wiring work?

Dakota

Loc.
Sunny South Dakota!
All electron experts:

I am electrically challenged. I have new Centech harness. How does the tailight wire up (no backup lights, 66 truck). Do each of the two wires in the housing lead to each of the filaments in the bulb, with the housing being the ground? How the heck do you get brake lights and running lights?

broncoguy66

If I remember right, there are four wires back there for each taillight. They are:
stop/turn
tail(clearance)
reverse
ground

As you stated, the backup lights won't be used on your truck. The ground, obviously, get's grounded to a source that ends up at the frame or body(if not fiberglass). If I remember correctly, the old stuff does use the housing as it's ground. Don't neglect that ground, if not properly grounded you will have headackes for years.

broncoguy66

Ok, I'm tired. I only answered half of your question. Yes, the housing is the ground, the other two wires do go to each of the two filiments.

Sorry. I have worked 4 days worth in the last two days. I can't do anything correct right now.