• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How far gone is too far?

Chemcorp158

I am finally getting what has been my dream vehicle for most of my life: My Fathers '69 Utility Wagon. The only problem is that my brother has had it for the last 20 years and after the engine died 15 years ago he has just let it sit in his back yard despite numerous attempt by me to get it from him. I haven't really looked at it closely in a long time but last time there was no rust on the frame but the body was in bad shape. I will be going by his place in the morning to look at it closer and was wondering at what point do I say it is not worth trying to fix up? I desperately want to resto mod it because it was bought new by my dad and some of my best memories of him are in that Bronco. I am just nervous that it may be too far gone to be re done.

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
That sucks for such a cool story. If you have any welding body skills at all you can do it. Go by, take lots of pictures and post them up so we can help you decide. Gosh, being your dad bought it new it would be cool to fix it up, good luck. Welcome by the way.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
You can fix anything with a welder and plenty of time! The parts are readily available so you can do it. If the rust reaches up into the firewall above the pedals that would be serious.

cldonley

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Robinson, TX
Post up some pics and let us help you with it. If you really want to keep it, you can buy every part for the entire body, and there's plenty of help available on CB.com. Sounds like a great story waiting to be told!

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
As long as the frame is good and you have the money and desire to bring it back, it's restorable. There are new bodies available both fiberglass and steel. Depending on the rust, those may be a better option than hundreds of patch panels.

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
If it belonged to your father, it's not too far gone. It's worth fixing regardless due to the sentimental value. My honest opinion.

I have my Dad's old Bronco, that I grew up riding in. It's worth more than money to me. My Dad is still here to enjoy it with me, but it is still something I cherish and will do my very best to keep forever. Funny thing about this topic, just tonight a guy said he wanted it, and another guy told him "You have a better chance winning the lottery than him selling it".

Whoaa

Bronco Guru
My philosphy....old cars are worth much more than some dollar amount, and they're much more than a collection of old steel and rubber parts that all fit together neatly to make a car -they're an emotional attachment. They usally bring back fond childhood memories and/or one of our first cars as young new drivers.

This is a prime example. In this case it was your dad's Bronco, who bought it new, and you rode around in as a kid! How do you put a dollar amount on that? You can't.

Bring it home at the first chance you get. Regardless if you start restoring it next Monday or 2 years from now I promise you it'll be "worth" it. Best wishes sir...

69 Fl. Bronc

Post pics. I'm sure you'll get all the help you need here. Wish I had one of my Dad's rides.

Bronco1970man

Loc.
Arizona
If I'm not mistaken, as long as you have the VIN tag and a title. You're good to go. You can even buy a new frame. I say with that much sentimental value, do it!

WheelHorse

Bronco Guru
Looking forward to the pics.

Don't forget to click on the links up top to Bronco vendors to get an idea of ALL that is available for these old rigs.

67RT

Bronco Guru
If I'm not mistaken, as long as you have the VIN tag and a title. You're good to go. You can even buy a new frame. I say with that much sentimental value, do it!

You are mistaken.. Transferring a VIN is not legal.

Justafordguy

Bronco Guru
That's awesome, I'm glad to hear you are going to restore it. ;D

Just take your time, learn as you go, and come here if you run into any trouble. I'm sure there's someone here close enough to you that would be willing to help out if you really get stuck.;)

Bukin 67

Bronco Abuser
Good decision. You made the true Bronco lover's choice. Now you officially have Obsessive Compulsive Bronco Disorder

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk