• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

how far should i go

6bangn69

Hi
After 9 years of sitting in a barn i towed out our 69 bronco half cab. It has the original six and 3 speed. uncut and original red paint. there is no rust at all and everything is in very good condition. less than two days after getting it out we had it running, after replacing carb gaskets and spark plugs. This is going to be my daily driver and i was thinking about what to do first. I have a 5.0 efi motor out of a tbird that is going to be put in it. should i stick with the efi or should i go with a carb for ease of install? Should i cut the fenders so i can run big tires or should i leave em be and run pizza cutters :( .
I also want to put a np435 transmission in with the 5.0. should i do a body lift or not? I have looked around and havent been able to find any roll cages for half cabs. any info would be appreciated.
thanks, Jon

Brewbro21

As for the majority of your post it's pretty much just your own preference and what you're going to be using it for. As for the fenders though, if you want to cut them I think you should just buy one that has already been cut, because the uncut ones are becoming very hard to find.

The tranny depends on how you want to drive it, myself I prefere the overdrive because I use mine as a daily driver. The NP is a great tranny but I don't think I'd go that route for a daily driver, just me though.

I know that wilhorses sells a roll cage for the half cab, trucks tv show put one on crazy horse.

With the EFI, I would personally drive your rig for a bit since you just got it running to see what I might need to do first before the EFI. Brakes, hoses, etc...plus this way you can see how much you like or still like the bronco and what needs to be done to make you like it better. I'd keep the EFI on the back burner though because they are very nice, I'm just inpatient so I would liek my rig being down for too long.

Hope that helps a little bit.

70 sport WA

Contributor
Sounds like a great truck--I'd be interested in knowing more about how you came across it...was it in the famiily? Sounds like you deep down want to run larger tires, and you ought to do what you want. I've cut the uncut and don't have regrets, but I'd remind you that you can get up to at least 32 inch tire under there...you may not need to cut. If that were the case on my rig and it's in the shape you describe and I knew I'd be using it for a daily driver (which the past four EBs over 17 years have been such) I'd probably not cut.

Anyway, I'll say what hasn't been said yet: we want pics! ;D

Dan

OP
OP

6bangn69

ya it could use some brakes.... :p
it blew all the brake cylinders but the ebrake works good. took it out today and went wheeling in the foot of snow we had last 2 days. it was great.
4wheel drive 360s are osm.

broncolove

The Bronco Ranch
Loc.
S.E. Michigan
6bangn69 said:
Hi
After 9 years of sitting in a barn i towed out our 69 bronco half cab. It has the original six and 3 speed. uncut and original red paint. there is no rust at all and everything is in very good condition. less than two days after getting it out we had it running, after replacing carb gaskets and spark plugs. This is going to be my daily driver and i was thinking about what to do first. I have a 5.0 efi motor out of a tbird that is going to be put in it. should i stick with the efi or should i go with a carb for ease of install? Should i cut the fenders so i can run big tires or should i leave em be and run pizza cutters :( .
I also want to put a np435 transmission in with the 5.0. should i do a body lift or not? I have looked around and havent been able to find any roll cages for half cabs. any info would be appreciated.
thanks, Jon

Heres your 1/2 cab roll cage. Mike at Complete Offroad makes a awesome 1/2 cab cage.

1/2 cab cage

OP
OP

6bangn69

as for the history my grand father bought it from a rancher who used it only for hunting. thats what he used it for also. it has a warn winch which was used for pulling deer out. if i ran a 32 inch tire what kind of wheel backspacing should i run on 15 inch rims? i was looking at the cragar series 397 which are 40 bucks out of summit. ill try to get pics up soon. the oxidized paint really cleaned up with some mothers polish and wax. original paint looks pertyy good. it also only has 84 thousand miles on it. :D

Mikeg23

Loc.
Greenwood, IN
You should go as far as you want.

We can only give our opinions or desires as to want we would do. If you don't want to cut the fenders/quarters then don't cut them, but please don't abstain from cutting them just because some purist might have a fit.

I tend to agree with Brewbro21 about the EFI. I think that right now I would try to strech her legs out for a bit and keep the EFI on the back burner. After nine years expect to have to replace anything that's made of rubber or had antifreeze in it.

When I got my '75 it had been sitting for a while so I rebuilt the carb, then put a cap, rotor, wires, and brakes on it. After driving it for a short time the radiator went south. So I put a new radiator and some hoses in it and a couple days later the water pumps leaking. Put a water pump in it and of course a few weeks later the passenger side carpet is soaked. After that though it hasn't given me many problems.

Mikeg23

Loc.
Greenwood, IN
Oh I just realized it's a six cylinder. So your not just wanting to do EFI your wanting to do an engine swap. In that case I would do the EFI at the same time as the engine rather than setting it up with a carb then coming back later and changing to EFI. That is if you think your going to end up with the fuel injection in the end any way. I guess if your doing that you'll be upgrading the radiator and everything any way so my last post is kind of irrelevant. I should really pay more attention. %)

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
to cut or not to cut that is the question. only you can answer but I'll give you my 2 cents I would try to leave it uncut especailly if its rust free you should be able to run 33x 9.50x15's as for wheel back spacing I like 3 1/2 to 3 3/4 it helps keep the tires from rubbing the radius arms at full lock. A body lift would probably be a good idea for one it would help clear the tires and you may get away with just cutting a hole for the shifter on the NP435 swap instead of having to cut the crossmember and most of the top section of the tunnel out. The 5.0 EFI swap would be good since you have the whole setup is it a mass air setup or speed density? If your planning any major mods to the motor you will need the mass air setup or just carb it.
The NP 435 is a great swap its one of the best I did and I used mine as a daily driver for years. a lot of people dont like them because it "shifts like a truck" but in my opinion it is a truck. but if your going to do a lot of long distance hiway driving OD would be nice but with the NP I run stock 3.5 rear gears and 33's so its like an overdrive without the price and I still have that superlow first gear.