• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How much did your Paint job cost?

Gene

Loc.
Louisiana
I am about to get my bronco painted in a few months. Just curious what others paid for their new paint. What are some questions that need to be asked when you go looking for a good paint shop, and which kind of paint did you guys go with. I was told IMRON is one of the better brands.<br><br>Thanks.

rulebreaker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Manton MI
$160 garage special! I used Omni single application paint that looks like base coat clear coat. Learned alot in the process.

rulebreaker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Manton MI
[quote author=GRIZZLY link=board=5;threadid=13181;start=0#99005 date=1042337492]<br>$36.95.......<br>[/quote]Spray can special?

GRIZZLY

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lakewood, CA
My neighbors always crack up. I park it in my front yard and go to it. I usually spend the first day taping and removing chrome(2 headlight rings....), I just started taping off the bronco side script. It's easier than getting into the backside of that panel, and spray the gray base coat. I spray the white spots the next morning and the black that afternoon. This year I'm seriously considering satin black everywhere and then flaming the front and maybe some funky graphic stuff here and there....I'd love to have real paint but my body has enough problems that it's just not worth the expense. When I finally give up on it I'll put on a glass tub(everything else is glass already) and a real paint job.

MY 4 BY

I had my Bronco painted woth Miralon 20 years ago and it is still shiney. Cost me $200 through a friend at work.

semprbronc

Loc.
Magnolia, De
I read somewhere that if you want a good paint job relative to the rest of the project, and you aren't going to paint it yourself, you should figure 10% of the project cost for paint. Don't know how accurate that is, but it sounded good ;D

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
Paint jobs can range from $300 to $3000. Most places today use some type of urethane and clear coat even if it is a solid color. There are a LOT of products out there. A Maaco paint job can be a good paint job if you get the truck ready to spray yourself. Just wait a few weeks , wetsand it with some 1500 and start buffing. It would be hard for someone who doesn't do body work to beleive that a quart of paint can range from $60 - $125. A gallon of clear $150 - $200. Gallon of primer $50 - $150. Materials are not cheap. You could probably buy paint, primer, reducer , tape and sandpaper to do a enamel job for less tan $200 . Don't get me wrong , a enamel paint job can look as good as a urethane job it just won't be as durable. I've seen it all. How about a whole truck done with bedliner. Shoot , I saw a guy who covered his whole car with fur ( fake fur ) and you should have seen that after just a couple of rain storms ;D

Sharkman

Loc.
Austin, Tx.
I was down in South Texas, just out side Port Mansfield and saw a scout that was done entirely in bed liner, red to be exact. The guy who owned it said he did it to protect it from the Mesquite thorns when he is driving arround his ranch. <br>For all you Yankees ;), Mesquite is a short tree with thorns about 3 inches long and make short work of a paint job and shorter work on a tire.<br><br>Looked great at a distance, terrible up close. Kinda like a girl I used to date. :-U

griff

Loc.
solvang, ca
I don't necessarily think it would be cheaper to paint it youself unless you already have all the tools. Between the bodywork and paint I spent $200-300 on tools. But if you're a tool guy this can be a good thing.

rednck21

mine was free ;Dnow its not the greatest looking but a friend had some paint left over from his rig and he taped, sanded and sprayed it for free! yeah it has a few runs in it but for bouncing off of rocks and trees its perfect ;D

G

Imron

I have had 3 cars painted with Imron. My '75 Bronco was painted in metalic Imron in '82. The paint is holding up well. More than can be said for the steel body. Plan to rebody it with a Kentrol and will be using Imron again.<br>If you spray yourself, follow the precautions. This is very dangerous material.<br>Imron is the most chip and scratch resistant, automotive paint I know of. But if you cut corners on the prep work, you'll be wasting your money.<br>As for cost, if having done professionally, and not making a color change or serious repairs, plan on $800-$1300.<br>

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D ;D ;D My last paint job was in 83 and cost was 189.00 at one a day out in san bernardino ca. a good job for the money it will need painting soon but I think I got my nickel's worth from it. ::) ::) ::) Bill 8) ::) :p

SCOTT

Loc.
Tok , AK
I went out to about 12 different body shops and talked with the owner/managers. The cheapest quote i got was $1500. and a few of the other shops advised against going to that particular body shop. Of course all the other shops wanted about $3000. So I went to the local Line-X dealer and he quoted me $500. so I said go for it. I figured I wouldn't be happy with a really nice paint job, that i would be afraid to get scratched.<br><br>Scott

hackyrat

My son and I painted the 76 using Dupont base coat/ clear coat. I think we spent about $250 or so. If you do yourself make sure you have the safety equipment like respirators, skin and eye protection. I took off my mask at the end of one coat and could not believe how bad that stuff is.

IPwizard

Loc.
NE Ohio
$350

Maaco, they did a pretty good job, I definatly will not be affraid to scratch it. They do a good job of painting but their prep sucks ass. There are places where it looks like they didnt even do a wipe down before they painted so there are some little dust particles under the paint kinda has that textured look ;D

For an off 4x4 its a good deal. I think ;)

Check out my website for pics. http://members.cox.net/~ipwizard

IPwizard

Loc.
NE Ohio
If you goto Maaco, one thing they dont like to tell you that I found out is that they only shoot the paint for coverage not the number of coats they paint. So look over your paint job really good make sure your satisifed with there "coverage". On my job there were places that you could still see the primer throught he paint, so I had them repaint it.<br><br>