• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How much paint do I need

Mac2Night

Bronco Guru
So I am getting really close to having my '74 painted (Bahama Blue) and the painter asked me it I want to by the supplies or did I want him to. If I go the route of me buying them (I can get a discount knowing the owner of the paint store), how much should I need to paint the whole interior and exterior of the tub? I've not decided on BC/CC or enamel so I need estimates of both if you don't mind sharing your experience in this area. Also, how much primer/sealer do I need?

Thanks!

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
I used 1.5 gallons of base and about the same amount of clear. About 2 gallons of high build primer and 1.5 gallons of epoxy primer. I reduced epoxy primer for use as a sealer. I didn.t paint interior of tub as I raptor lined it. Ken

AC932

Contributor
For just the outside, priming took me about 12 large rattle cans of primer, then about a gallon of paint for 3 coats.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
I ended up buying 1 and 3/4 gallon. Have about 1/4 of a gallon left. I did everything but underside of tub. Mine is also bahama blue.

68Broncoz

Contributor
I am planning on 2 gallons but also painting the top the same color, interior raptor with color added and engine compartment

nickgp

Bronco Guru
Used aprx 1 and 3/4 gallons of color. That’s inside, outside, bottom and engine compartment and two sets of doors. No roof. Four coats.

Rocko1012

If your stripping to metal. 1 Gallon Epoxy, 1 gallon of paint. 1.5 Gallons of Wax & Grease remover. Harderners and Reducers needed also, that's just body and hood. You can always buy more. Used Single Stage PPG Bahama blue.

jagbucket

I like to save unmixed color in smaller containers for nicks and scratches that can happen . small containers prevent a skin forming over time. so extra paint is never wasted but consider it insurance

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Having some left over to save for touch up is a good idea, they have become better at mixing paint that matches what you already have but paint from the same batch is still the best match.

OP
OP
Mac2Night

Mac2Night

Bronco Guru
Ok, so my painter has told me to get all of this:

2 gallons of paint
2 gallons of clear
2 gallons of primer
1 gallon reducer
1 gallon thinner

Does this sound like too much??????

jagbucket

if all that paint was on it would be 1/4 inch thick thats a swag but seems excessive to me. epoxy clear also needs an activator and reducer, which can be the same as your color, if you go single stage solid color = no clear easier to repair but not as much gloss.
I dont mean to second guess your painter he must have a reason to ask for that amount but you did just say the tub. thick paint will chip easier and is harder to repair

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
That seems like an awful lot of paint. One gallon of paint is usually reduced 1:1 so you can make it into 2 gallons sprayable.

OP
OP
Mac2Night

Mac2Night

Bronco Guru
Thanks guys.... I ended up getting less paint. If he runs out I will get more.