• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How much should I grease

mtnbiker2010

Loc.
Grand Rapids MI
I had to replace a u-joint. When I took the axle off I squeezed a lot of grease out of it. How do I know when to stop adding grease? I have had a few conflicting suggestions on how to do it. My dad did some farming during the summer when I was a kid and he always greased until some just started to ooze out, but I have had other people tell me that that means you have burst the seal and ruined them. If I don't have it ooze slightly out how do I know when to stop? Any suggestions welcomed.

Mark M

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I've always done it til clean grease comes out. Never had a problem with doing it that way. I've only had problems when to busy/lazy to get out the grease gun and do a litlle maintenance.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
Father knows best (in this instance at least).
If someone told me that I burst a seal and ruined them, I'd laugh in their face.;D %)

Broncobowsher

Total hack
For U-joints grease until it comes out.

There are some things that shouldn't be filled until run out. If the boot is a bellows, grease until you see the bellows start to grow. Stop before it pops.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
I like the boot deal put some in until you see it grow in size dont bust it ...then the ujoint get just a little to come out ....farm eguip ...I grease it until I see it ..
I have a big plow knowing it runs in the sand I try to flush it out to get mosre sand out ....so I guess it depends what your working on ...

kontinu

Loc.
mount holly
is it ok to grease yukon superjoints (front axles) until grease comes out. The instructions said don't put to much in or you'll ruin the seals. I don't know what to believe. Just want them to last because mud ruins everything.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
is it ok to grease yukon superjoints (front axles) until grease comes out. The instructions said don't put to much in or you'll ruin the seals. I don't know what to believe. Just want them to last because mud ruins everything.

Pump them full until clean gease comes out.
They are not a bellows style seal (some ball joints and tierods).
If you think there is mud in there, pump it until you flush it out.