• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How much to restore one?

sigepkat

Here's the situation...My wife won't let me spend what I want on a newer truck and I've wanted to get an EB for years so I'm thinking now may be my chance, but I have no clue what this could end up costing me. My questions:

Whats a ballpark cost to get a $5-6k truck to a place where it is a good looking, reliable daily driver?

What kind of upgrades are "necessary"? (I live in TX, so stuff like A/C is "necessary," power steering and brakes would probably also fall in that category since it will be a DD.)

Is this at all a good idea? I know the stock engines in these are fairly stout, as are the trucks as a whole, but I need something that can (in theory) make it to and from the office everyday.

TIA

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Whats a ballpark cost to get a $5-6k truck to a place where it is a good looking, reliable daily driver?
TIA

How much do you have? :p

It really depends on the condition. Does it run well? Is it safe? How's the: brakes, wiring, steering, lighting, exhaust, tires, wheels, roll bar, seat belts, etc., etc. etc..? I bought mine for 8K and have spent about 4k on it (disc brakes, PS upgrade, fuel lines and pump, exhaust, intake, carb and on and on).

for 5-6k you can probably get one that is running good, but needs body work. Or you can get one that looks good, but needs mechanical work. I'm still a newbie, but I would guess 2-3k to get it close to what you want. But, it's all subjective.

Safety is most important!!!

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Buy one already done and in good shape. 10 - 13 K

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
My bronco is 95% done, All planning has been completed, The only thing left is buying everything and all the labor.

tml

Loc.
Ontario, Canada
All depends on what you want and how far your willing to go. It's pratically endless. I dumped $15-17,000 into my 76. It was worth every penny. I couldn't imagine what that # would be if I didn't do alotof the work myself. Figure out your budget first and go from there.

OP
OP
sigepkat

sigepkat

thats what i'm trying to figure out...as far as what i want...something that will do the job (daily driver and fun rig)...i dont need anything super outrageous...labor costs i'm not too concerned about because I have most of the tools and know how to handle just about everything from paint and bodywork to mechanical and electrical...my primary concerns are material/parts costs...

helo-mech

Check out this Post. http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105802

There are a lot of ideas as far as what people have done and what they have spent. Check out the classifides as well. I know there is a good looking 76 uncut with A/C for sale right now for like 10k. but at the same time you could probaly spend 5-6k pretty easy and then put another 5-20k in it. Look at that other post. There are some pretty big numbers in there. Of course there are a lot of really nice rigs in there as well.

mr incredible

Bronco Guru
basicly ,, one can never be done if you wish ,, and the cost could easily exceed the cost of a new truck ,,,

thesnake

Bronco Guru
I currently have a 70 that I'm building. I don't know exactly how much I've got into it. I've been putting it together from pieces. I know I don't have as much as some people. It started out just a plan and as I've gone one I've accquired the parts. I still need a few things. Some of the things I've planned didn't fit, so enter bronco #2. I've got one I'm putting together (painfully slow) and another on the back burner. One will be a daily driver mostly stock and the other will have the cool stuff in it for tearing around in the sticks.

Good Luck!!!

John

70_Steve

Old Guy
You need to better define what your intended uses are. Your thread title asked "How much to restore one". Are we talking frame-off? You could spend tens of thousands doing a restoration, even a resto-mod.

Then you mentioned "good looking, reliable daily driver", which is a whole step down from a restoration.

Next was "(daily driver and fun rig)...i dont need anything super outrageous", which seems to imply that you do want some off-road capability.

Remember, these vehicles are 30 to 40 years old. Everything will break!! If you want a reliable daily driver, start thinkign about rebuilding (or replacing)the entire drivetrain, including engine, transmission, transfer case, both differentials, and driveshafts. If it's to be a daily driver you maybe concerned about gas mileage. While these vehicles aren't the most economical, a slight improvement in gas mileage can be realized with an overdrive transmission. Fuel injection helps as well. Seems like the most popular conversion is to the 88-93 factory Ford fuel injection.

Also think about the wiring harness. Several vendors sell Bronco specific harnesses. Ballpark about $500 for the harness.

As far as "necessary" upgrades, I believe most would vote for front disk brakes, power or not, as the most important safety upgrade. Power steering is a really nice upgrade, but not as necessary, unless you plan on wheeling 35's offroad. the A/C is your call, but the kits I've seen are running ~$1K.

Now, if your talking off-roading, may as well start with a suspension. 2 1/2" to 3 1/2" will do pretty much everything you want. Refer to the vendors on this page for an idea of the range of prices for suspension lifts.

A $5-6K truck will likely have several of the upgrades you might need or want. But be very careful, and be as informed as you can get when buying a Bronco with upgrades. Some upgrades will be done very well, and some will... not... This forum is full of horror stories of mods and repair done by the dreaded PO. Hopefully you know someone knowledgeable about Early Bronco's. If not, try posting here for someone to go with you to inspect your prospective Bronco.

Good luck, and welcome.

leelandaiche

Loc.
Gonzales, La
Hopefully you know someone knowledgeable about Early Bronco's. If not, try posting here for someone to go with you to inspect your prospective Bronco.

yea... i should have done that... listen to the man! if its at all possible, bring someone that knows!

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
If you dont already have a truck or a real specific idea of what you want...then I agree with an earlier poster...find a Bronco in the $12-18K range thats already been done. They do become available. It is possible to get a rebuilt, upgraded, even EFI, OD, PS, discs, PB, nice roll bar, paint etc. Unfortunately, for some builders, they get there or almost there and have to sell. Oftentimes, you can barely recoup parts and upgrades, forget labor. I have seen 25-30K trucks sell for 50-60 cents on the dollar. To find one of these, you will need to be patient and may have to travel to pick it up or pay to have it shipped...road trips are a great bonding experience and you can check it out before you are totally committed.

Alternativley, since you dont already have a truck, buying one in the $5-6 range...well, its possible to find something OK, but probably not meeting all your criteria...rust will be almost inevitable somewhere to some extent. To cure the rust means a real commitment of time and money. You can search some of the other threads for what people have spent on their trucks. I would say for a decent job, with you doing all or most of the work, figure between $20-35K. $20K if you keep it fairly stock...start in with axle upgrades, lockers, EFI, OD trannies, aftermarket or beefed up stock transfercase, quality paint work (repairing/replacing sheetmetal, complete stripping of all surfaces, quality materials and with you taking it down to a shell and putting it back together figure ~4-5K, if you find a "reasonable shop" willing to do a quality and not necessarily a "show-quality job), add in a bedliner (pro-sprayed $600-2K), items to be installed powdercoated (sky is the limit), wiring harness, EFI...it can go sky high. There are a few folke that I understand have $50-65K invested. I think you can do a pretty nice job for about half that, if you do most of it yourself. I probably invested a couple of grand in additional tools to enable me to attempt my build. Another thing...hardware...budget a grand for hardware alone, even if you have a Totally stainless kit. OK, I will get off my soap box.

Its a great experience...to build up your own truck...but if you have some cash on hand, buy something already most of the way or all the way done, do a little personalization and enjoy. Good luck.

John

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
Trailpsycho gave some really great insight to a rebuild. You can spend from 10-50k depending on what you what. I have built all my life, from farm equipment that saved me 10s of thousands to cabins in the woods, but I have never built anything that has given me the enjoyment I have had building my bronco.PRICELESS
If you read between the lines, many of the guys here feel the same way. They don't do it for the money or the investment. They do it for the pleasure that it gives them. Try it you might like it.

Heus33

Bronco Guru
This is a great thread - should be in the FAQs for newbies.

Great advice guys - spot on.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
all of the above is spot on.
key to it all is: more you want, more it costs.

as a whole it all comes down to time & materials. if you don't have the time, knowledge or experience you are buying someone elses.
you can figure out the materials easy enough.
figure out what your number is and add at least 10-15%.
that should get you close.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
all of the above is spot on.
key to it all is: more you want, more it costs.

as a whole it all comes down to time & materials. if you don't have the time, knowledge or experience you are buying someone elses.
you can figure out the materials easy enough.
figure out what your number is and add at least 10-15%.
that should get you close.

I have had to about double my original "budget". Be realistic, when you do a budget...factor in an extra 15% for shipping of some "bronco specific" items, if there isnt (and my money would say probably wont be) a Bronco vendor in your town. I think I was more or less in line with what Nick said above on the 15-20% over budget, until you factor in all the "small" stuff, side projects, powder-coating, costs associated with tows/hauls/rentals of trailers to get the project from media to paint or cage, bumpers, etc to PC. Ultimately, there are hundreds if not close to a thousand in $$ tied up in gas, transportation and related transport unless you have a well-outiftted one-stop shop....all things I never would have thought about or budgeted in...BUT my wife, she sees all (finances) records all, tracks all and nags all...so I will get the tally here soon when its "done". Until then, I am just trying to focus on getting it "done" and driveable before the weather goes too cold...then I have to start on the hard-top....could be a way to angle in on one of Rick's super softies....hhhmmm ;)

Fugly

Loc.
Las Vegas
If you are doing the work yourself don't forget the cost of new nuts and bolts, bushings, cut-off wheels, welding materials, etc. The little stuff seems to start killing you after a while. $30.00 here $50.00 bucks there.

Like said above, take some time and shop around. Read some tech articles (to the left) and see what the endless possibilities are out there for these rigs. It should help you figure out more of what you think is required for your new rig.

Welcome to the never-ending addiction!

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
You used the word "restore". That is more than body, interrior, & drive train. A real restore means everything disassembled and refurbished. The cost? I don't know. I've never done one but I did do the interrior, paint & and added an A/C. These cost me 8K to do myself.