• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How to build a Driveshaft Parking Brake Drum setup?

Dirtyboy

Loc.
Cape Cod, Mass
Hey I want to do rear disc and Not use rear calipers with the integral paking brake. Parking brake cables here only last 8 months then they lock up from rust, or mud. So I want to install a parking brake on the driveshaft like the old jeeps(ya ya I said the "j" word) have. I know there are some companies out there that sell them, even though I dont know who(help!), but Im not a buyer I want to build.;D

craigs67

Loc.
Juneau Alaska
e brake

Hi look up the ebrake thread just a couple days ago. High angle drivelines makes a disc brake for that. hope that helps Craig.

OP
OP
Dirtyboy

Dirtyboy

Loc.
Cape Cod, Mass
ya we tried the line loc thing...had to build my brother a new bumper!lol. I want to check out a drum setup if I could. They do hold better. Im running some 38's right now and I want some meat to hold it back. I will check out that thread though. Thanks. Anyone else?!

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
I have found three outfits with these options. All are disc brake setups. One is transfer case mounted and the others are pinion mounted. Is this what you want? Myself and 2 others on this site are working on this problem so your not alone.

TOFIC

OP
OP
Dirtyboy

Dirtyboy

Loc.
Cape Cod, Mass
...ya disc is fine. It must use an origional cable to retain the ratchet mechanism to hold a ebrake style caliper holding pressure right? I guess we could fabricate the caliper mount from the rear axle setup, and find a company that could just sell us the rotor right?

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
dirtyboy, sell your yellow one yet?

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
Now that's pretty sweet, cheap enough too it you didn't want to build one.

willtel

Not sure if it helps but Land Rover Discoverys and first and second generation Range Rovers used a drum emergency brake mounted to the transfer case. From looking at mine it seems like it would be easy to adapt, it is very heavy duty.

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
Not sure if it helps but Land Rover Discoverys and first and second generation Range Rovers used a drum emergency brake mounted to the transfer case. From looking at mine it seems like it would be easy to adapt, it is very heavy duty.
That sounds cool, you got any pics?Chuck

j.r.nice

Bronco Guru
I used TSM's unit on mine. I like it alot. I hated the rear caliper e-brake....never worked right. The only drawback is how low it sits, and TSM will tell you that. Great company + the owner has some neat Bronco history.

willtel

That sounds cool, you got any pics?Chuck

Here is a shot of one on the back of a LT-230 from a Defender, the cable goes into the backing plate like a normal drum. I guess it just depends how much the tailshaft on the Dana 20 sticks out, I haven't stared at my D20 in a while.

11523.jpg

OP
OP
Dirtyboy

Dirtyboy

Loc.
Cape Cod, Mass
dirtyboy, sell your yellow one yet?

naw still got her, I dont really want to sell it:( ; but theres this credit card hanging over my head that I need to get rid of. And shes to pretty for me to dirty her or scratch her, and now I got the white one to abuse.

OP
OP
Dirtyboy

Dirtyboy

Loc.
Cape Cod, Mass
Here is a shot of one on the back of a LT-230 from a Defender, the cable goes into the backing plate like a normal drum. I guess it just depends how much the tailshaft on the Dana 20 sticks out, I haven't stared at my D20 in a while.

11523.jpg

YES! thats what I need. Now what is the bolt spacing measurement. And what style yoke does the Defender use(u-joint size) and could we adapt the yoke to fit on the driveshaft with a conversion u-joint? I wonder how deep that drum is? will we have to shorten our driveshafts? The Dana20 is as we all know uses a strap to hold it in the yoke, where that Defender setup requires a bolted flange setup like a 8.8 Ford or Toyota driveshaft. Im going to check Ebay for this defender setup probably pricey.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Before you get too jumpy on this project, get a tape measure and figure out how much clearancy you have between the rear yoke and the floor. I looked into a shaft mounted parking brake a few times. Comes down to not enough room without a body lift.

willtel

YES! thats what I need. Now what is the bolt spacing measurement. And what style yoke does the Defender use(u-joint size) and could we adapt the yoke to fit on the driveshaft with a conversion u-joint? I wonder how deep that drum is? will we have to shorten our driveshafts? The Dana20 is as we all know uses a strap to hold it in the yoke, where that Defender setup requires a bolted flange setup like a 8.8 Ford or Toyota driveshaft. Im going to check Ebay for this defender setup probably pricey.

Tell you what, as long as it isn't raining tonight I'll crawl under my Range Rover and try to get some measurements for you. I'm sure you could get a shaft built to work with the Rover joints if you go that route, I may even have an extra yoke I could let you have if they are $$.

Here is some Land Rover U-Joint info from RangeRovers.net, confusing and expensive like all Rover crap.

U Joints:
Derek Brennan reports: Symptoms of failing U-Joints are high pitched squealing/ squeaking sounds coming from front passenger footwell, and drivetrain vibrations when accelerating from a stop on uneven surfaces. Replacement aftermarket U joints cost $60 each from Land Rover aftermarket suppliers. The OVLR site states that whereas UK and rest of world models without catalytic converters use Preciision 369 or equivalent u-joints, the ones on North American and other cat-equipped models are Precision 344 or equivalent -- the same as on a 1993 Volvo 240. This part also cross-references to PDQ1-0005 and Neapco 1-0005 -- the only difference is that the latter have the grease nipple in one of the bearing caps instead of in the middle of the "U" -- this makes no difference to function. Chris Wilson and Ron Beckett in Australia found that the U joints are the same as used on Australian Ford Falcons (not North American ones) and on the Volvo 240. The aftermarket part number used there is K5L4R. Derek found that Speedycarparts.com lists the correct U-Joint for $17.00 each, while Atlantic British and Rover’s North ask nearly $60 each. Derek purchased his at NAPA for $21 each plus tax. Partsamerica.com has another equivalent (GMB part number 2201100) for $11.99. I recently (December 2004) found U-joints said to fit the Range Rover Classic for $5.82 each at AutoPartsGIANT.com.

Here are some better shots of a Rover LT-230 transfer case, you can see the shoulder that the drum backing plate bolts to here.

BWonjack2.jpg

Here is the back of the drum, there are a few different parts as some later model Range Rovers had a Borg Warner chain driven transfer case but the e-brake is very similar, if you do go this route you may want to source both parts and see which one fits best. I think the cable location and the index of the mounting bolts are the main differences. Hope this helps.

ebrakeholecomparison.jpg