• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How to buy a ZF, and anything else I should grab?

hucklburry rev2

I wanted to share.

I am frugal, and I want a ZF.

I finally had the money stashed, and checked all around car-parts.com, I could get one shipped with shifter for around $475 delivered. I could have bought one listed on CL, the closest I found was 8 hours round trip, for $400.

I spend 6 weeks total watching craigslist, and found 6 beater F250 pop up for sale cheap ($1100 or less). I missed a 94 model (roller 351) for $750!! I picekd up a 1990 F250 with 351 and ZF, 4x4, for $700. It doesn't run, so I had to trailer it. It has 102k miles on it, no gooseneck, shifter feels tight. Has title. There were others for sale, but the mileage on this one is what had me interested in it. There is some risk since this one isn't running, but I am pretty certain its OK. The guy had it listed for $1100, its rusty. I told him I'd pay $700 and followed up with him for 2 weeks like every 4 days. No one else was buying it, and he wanted it gone.

A google search says the truck probably weighs over 5000#, at $180/ton, scrap value is around $450.

But now I have all the clutch stuff, master cylinder, shifter, etc. So in my mind, I spend $250 for all that stuff, maybe less if it weighs more.

I am pretty psyched about it.

OH, and while checking behind the seat I found various tools, and a bag full of coins. Probably $30 including 8 $1 gold coins from 2000.

So I plan on dropping the tranny, getting the clutch cylinder, is there anything I need to make sure to grab that I am not aware of? I have been advised to sell the cat. converters seperate, more money for them.

I will post a CL add and maybe part it out some, but its gonna be gone quickly, so I'd say chances are slim I get anything else sold off of it. I saved money, but also worked for any savings I got doing it this way.

--Jim

OP
OP
H

hucklburry rev2

OH, here are some recommended search terms for craigslist if you want to look in your area:

F250
F-250
F350
F-350
ford speed
zf
ford 5speed
ford ton

OP
OP
H

hucklburry rev2

If anyone is interested, I scrapped the F250 today.

I sold the engine to a fellow CBer for $50 (Scrap value), if it actually ran or was a roller 351, I could have made money on this deal and gotten a free zf.

As it was, with no engine and no trans/transfer case (hadn't split it yet), the truck weighed 4280 pounds, and at $180/ton (was up to $210 recently), I received $385 cash.

So I got enough back that the ZF and clutch MC only cost me $265.00 (plus gas and time). I could have kept the flywheel, but someone probably needed it and I didn't.

Overall, with scrap up like it is, I am happy with how it went. It would have been a little easier if I had bought a running truck too, but this one was low mileage, the tranny looks great so far, I will be opening it up this week after a powerwash.

I saved a nice chunk of change that I can put towards the adapter or the work on my GT40 heads.:)

OP
OP
H

hucklburry rev2

The 460 has a different bolt pattern, so it wont work for a 302/351.

It could have been bought from a junkyard and being sold again, the yards sell the shifter seperate sometimes (some yards include the shifter). That picture is missing both the upper shift arm, and the lower shifter assembly.

patrickk1

Loc.
Cambridge
Good deal on the zf! I picked mine up for $200 from a guy that boght it for his bronco and decided not to build the bronco. It was in great shape. He didnt have a price listed and while I had traveled to Conneticut to pick up some doors for the bronco he called me to let me know he still had it. Turns out he was around the corner from where I was picking up my doors. You will like the zf! I didn't want to do the nv4500 since it required adapters. If you use a np205 with the zf, no adapters are needed. I twin sticked my np205 and clocked it further upwards with a clocking ring.