• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

how to flush motor B4 new radiator install

CrazyHorse

Loc.
Clovis,Ca
Anyone flush motor and heater core before installing new radiator in your bronco? Tell me how please. I've got gunk in my water pump inlet thats a grren color. Oh, and do any of you have a steel spring that runs the length of the lower hose on the inside of it. I do, what the hell is this for? Its not imbedded in the hose, just sitting in there, the whole length of it.

antnykk

Loc.
Northern New Jersey
The spring is to prevent colapse of the lower hose. The lower hose is the intake for the water pump and therefore under suction.

As far as the flush, I just use water. Lots of it. I make an adapter to connect the hose to the motor and flush the block and heater core. I have heard of a additive to help flush, buit never used it myself. I just keep on top of it and flush my whole system at least once per year.

Good luck.
Anthony

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Spring just supports the hose, keeps it from collapsing. To flush Id remove the thermostat and stick a waterhose to it! That will at least flush out all the loose junk. Maybe put the old rad back in run some rad flush through flush it with the hose again then installed new rad. Sucks having to use new parts where old goo remains.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
They sell a $7 kit at Autozone/AdvanceAuto/PepBoys/... etc. that you put inline with your heater hose. It has a cap that you can screw off, screw on a garden hose and you then flush your system. When done you take the hose out, and screw the cap back on until next time.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
When you finish flushing make a cone from aliminium window screen about 3 inches long the size of the inside of the top radiator hose and slide it inside the end of the radiator on the top hose side and run it there for a week or so. remove and see all the crap it catches after you flush. remove it after a week if you dont it will corrode pretty fast and put crap inside the radiator. It will catch a bunch of stuff you dont want in a new radiator. they sell filters you splice in line but they are expensive and introduce 2 new leak points.

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
I had no heat so I stuck a garden hose on my heater inlet, turned the water on and pushed a solid 8 inch long snake of junk out of it. Works great now. Just flushed the rest of the motor with water

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Dont mix brands of antifreeze or you can make some interesting forms of jelly fish.

Brewbro21

You can let it run on the ground or you can collect it in a container, just don't let any of those bunny humpin tree huggers catch you or you night get some grief.

OP
OP
C

CrazyHorse

Loc.
Clovis,Ca
thanks for the input

I got my wildhorses staggered 4 core today and installed it after the big flush.It's been 8 mos since the PIG has been started and it's running good. now I need a license plate lite, a new shroud( mine broke in half), mine broke in half. and extended e-brake lines for the new 2" bodylift. Then, Im ready for the DMV inspection, Brake and lamp inspection, and tags and the many fees the dmv charges the victim of a collission that a stop sign running fool caused to a then happy bronco owner. thanks again!