• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How To Reduce Rear End Height

redvettemike

Contributor
We have been back and forth as regards the height of the '77 Bronco that we have been restoring. It has new rear springs. It needs to sit about 1" lower in the back. We thought about having a slightly longer spring shackle back there. We think this would reduce the ride height of the Bronco slightly. Have any of you folks done this? Does any vendor offer slightly longer spring shackles? Thanks.

Bferrari

If the springs are new, they will more than likely settle. For the time being, remove one of the leafs, like the 3rd one down, which should level the back out. When the springs start to settle in the future you can reinstall the leaf you removed.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, longer shackles can and will do the trick...it will also reduce the pinion angle slightly. That said, I don't know of any vendor offering them as an off-the-shelf item, but I'm considering doing the same on mine rather than remove leafs. Alternatively, if the goal is to level the rig, raising the front would be the alternative.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
We have been back and forth as regards the height of the '77 Bronco that we have been restoring. It has new rear springs. It needs to sit about 1" lower in the back. We thought about having a slightly longer spring shackle back there. We think this would reduce the ride height of the Bronco slightly. Have any of you folks done this? Does any vendor offer slightly longer spring shackles? Thanks.

You could also have the springs de-arched a bit at a spring shop. I did that with the latest pair of leafs on my truck.

Todd Z.

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
You may want to check and see if you got new "stock" springs or the new "improved version" which has a little more lift than original stock springs??? Just saying, it happened to a friend of mine!!;D;D
Good luck!!

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
Sounds like a whole bunch of trouble for 1" lower? Add a couple of big bags of rocks behind the rear seat to help your springs settle.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The original rear leaves were too tall relative to the front springs. My '77 was about 3" higher in the rear than in the front. In nearly 40 yrs. the springs didn't "settle in". I don't think it's going to happen any time soon. After trying several so called suspension lifts I settled on a pair of Moog '78-'79 Bronco heavy duty replacement coils. This picked up the front end about 1 3/4" and gave the Bronco a nice stance. I doubt there's a better plan. The inverted Y tie rod system works like it's supposed to and the road manners are better than any EB I've driven.

OP
OP
R

redvettemike

Contributor
Is the top and spare tire on, or are they going to be? Also do you have any mileage on the new leafs?

Top is on and there will be no spare. The rear springs are (I think) from Tom's and were suppose to be a 'stock' height (although they have lots of leafs). This rig was originally set up by a prev owner to be a rock crawler and had big Duff rear springs and a 3" body lift. It still has that body lift. I think, as someone here posted, that removing one of the leafs might give us the 1" +/- that we are looking for. Thanks for the responses.

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
Top is on and there will be no spare. The rear springs are (I think) from Tom's and were suppose to be a 'stock' height (although they have lots of leafs). This rig was originally set up by a prev owner to be a rock crawler and had big Duff rear springs and a 3" body lift. It still has that body lift. I think, as someone here posted, that removing one of the leafs might give us the 1" +/- that we are looking for. Thanks for the responses.

Double check on what they call "stock" heigth, it may be an inch higher???

jckkys

Bronco Guru
At most 23 gal. of gas is less than 150 lbs. The 4900 lb. rear springs are about 300 lb/in and it takes 600 lbs. to compress 2 of them one inch. So a full tank would lower the rear end 1/4 in.

Whoaa

Bronco Guru
My 77' has new 5 1/2 springs, but that doesn't matter because its the same issues you're having. Mine is sitting about 1 to 1 1/2" high in the rear also.

After recieving a lot of comments from some really knowledgable Bronco folks, and double checking everything I choose to let the springs "settle". Currently I have 400 lbs of sand bags in the rear to *hopefully* speed up the settling process..

This pic' is without weight in the back...3 weeks ago

Here's a pic from tonight, after taking the sand bags outta the back, after letting the spring settle for a few weeks w/ weight in it, it came down about 1 1/4"

OP
OP
R

redvettemike

Contributor
Here are some photos of the vehicle in question. I think if we remove a leaf from the rear springs this might drop it the distance we want.

Attachments

• IMG_0661.jpg
    IMG_0661.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0660.jpg
    IMG_0660.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 26

68ford

Bronco Guru
Years ago I had 5.5 coils and 3.5 11 leaf springs in the rear. It was about a 1/4 in higher in the rear. I took out the odd 11th leaf and it was level. Longer shackle makes half the difference of its increased length due to only affecting one end. I also think the fuel filler will hit the shackle.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
MAN My Bronco I use on the Farm.. I have a lot of weight in my Bed of my Half cab.
.. And I'VE USED MY BRONCO TO HAUL a trailer we use to haul about 50 bales of hay on the farm.
This winter I broke my rear springs I'm Sure due to the weight I've hauled.. So I'm your you can add some weight & mash them a bit.