• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

How to remove D20 input shaft?

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I'm in the process of installing a Blackbox-i and I need to remove the D20 input shaft. See the pic. Do I need to remove the rear output shaft assembly to pull the input shaft out from the inside? Or will it come out as is? I have not pulled on it too hard yet and I don't want to pull the output shaft assembly if I don't need to. It was just resealed by the tranny shop!

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1676.jpg
    IMG_1676.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 44

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Turn the transfer case over so the input shaft is pointing down. Pull the shaft down. The outside bearing retainer has an o-ring around it and the seal for the input spud shaft holding it in place. It can be tough to pull out. The reason for upside down is in the end of the spud shaft is uncaged roller bearings which will fall out. You want them out with the shaft and not falling inside the case.

mudstud

Contributor
Bronco Bonehead
Loc.
Excel
That is from an automatic and just pulls out. Be mindful of the needle bearing that are inside as you pull it out. There are 12 or 13 I can’t remember.

OP
OP
Scoop

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Thanks all. I'll give it a try. Appreciate the heads-up on the needle bearings!

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
You can also use a rubber or leather strap wrench around the round part of the bearing retainer to turn it a little. It will help to ease the o-ring out.

Hozr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Oly, WA
If it's REALLY stuck in there you can tap a prybar/tool under the lip to get it started.

The ADVANCED ADAPTERS ZF to Dana 20 uses the same setup as well.