• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

how to store hardtops? looking for ideas

74BroncoCO

Bronco Guru
I have two 2x4's that I ran eye bolts thru on the ends. They are placed under the top side to side. I then run a ratchet strap from each of the 4 eye bolts to a back-bone steel tube that I welded 4 metal loops to. I tighten down the straps, then connect the one top loop on the backbone to a come-along that is looped thru a pulley mounted to the ceiling and then hooked to the wall where I can hoist it up by hand.

I would like to get a cheap engine hoist leveler so I can easily level it after it's lifted off the floor provided I get all my ratchet straps equal length.

67RT

Bronco Guru
Motorcycle tie downs and strut/channel pulled up close to the ceiling, then hung with chain as tie downs should not be trusted.

It's cheap, easy (I hang it by myself), fast (timed myself once, with a full interior to be careful with it was 43 minutes), and if installed properly it will never come down.

I did this and dont have my Bronco anymore and am scared to get it down. Not sure how I am going to do it!

No Hay

Bronco Guru
I did this and dont have my Bronco anymore and am scared to get it down. Not sure how I am going to do it![/QUOTE

Drop down 2-3 chain links at a time, going around at each corner. Or I will put the m/c tie downs back on and drop a few inches at a time. It's down in minutes, by myself. Been doing it this way for decades. Faster than waiting for a friend to come over, unless they are a neighbor ;D

hankjr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I did this and dont have my Bronco anymore and am scared to get it down. Not sure how I am going to do it![/QUOTE

Drop down 2-3 chain links at a time, going around at each corner. Or I will put the m/c tie downs back on and drop a few inches at a time. It's down in minutes, by myself. Been doing it this way for decades. Faster than waiting for a friend to come over, unless they are a neighbor ;D

^^ this

i used similar method when i used to hoist my jeep top. i had ropes with loops every foot or so. one corner at a time and then chain it up for the summer. you do have to watch out letting out too much slack with the tie downs as an opposite corner can come unweighted and loose.

Hank

67RT

Bronco Guru
^^ this

i used similar method when i used to hoist my jeep top. i had ropes with loops every foot or so. one corner at a time and then chain it up for the summer. you do have to watch out letting out too much slack with the tie downs as an opposite corner can come unweighted and loose.

Hank

This is what I am worried about! Also, the tie downs used are not long enough to drop it to the floor as it was on my bronco before. I will have to rig up four new tie downs and release the ones on it now. When I put it up and was ratcheting the weight shifted and a corner dropped on my forehead while I was standing on a 5 gallon bucket. Was knocked silly but able to hold it on my shoulder and reset the strap. It was hot and couldnt see as thought I was sweating so much from holding it. Nope, looked down and blood everywhere, shirt, floor.For only a 6 stitch cut I looked like Rocky in number 2! Freaked the wife out!
Also learned that getting stitches at urgent care is only a primary care copay vs $150 at the ER!

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Ringwood, NJ
I put eye bolts into the rafters and then used ratchet straps/2x4s. Its pretty simple and I'm sure it could be done better, but it works.
2e9a93a257365387994f4c09a55c8be8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk